Cord Blood

mmcxristidis

Cord Blood

Post by mmcxristidis »

I'm aware that stem cell research is wrong from an Orthodox Church perspective. I believe donating organs is also not acceptable, I would like to know what the Orthodox Church has to save about keeping or donating and using infant cord blood.

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Re: Cord Blood

Post by Anastasios »

Why would donating organs be wrong?

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

Fr Anastasios wrote:

Why would donating organs be wrong?

Well, I did read somewhere and also a priest had said that harvesting organs from dead bodies is wrong for Orthodox Christians but I should have said organ donations from living donors could be considered acceptable as long as its not the heart which Church Fathers have described as being a spiritual organ besides being a physical one. I know some are against organ donations in any sense. I suppose there's no clearcut Orthodox teaching about it, except for heart donations, which would have to be taken from an already dead body anyways, I'm sure some non-traditionalist would still disagree.
I did find this from off the internet,
ORGAN DONATION: There are no specific guidelines for Orthodox Christians regarding organ donation. Some people believe that organ donation desecrates the temple of the Holy Spirit. Other believe that there is no better way to follow Christ's life-giving mission than by donating an organ, so that another may live a fuller life. A school of moderates choose to donate some organs and tissues — such as kidneys or corneas, but not others with deeper spiritual significance — such as the heart or lungs (the Greek word for "spirit" is synonymous with "breath"). Each individual believer must make his/her own choice on this matter, following the dictates of his/her conscience and the guidance of his/her spiritual father.
May I ask what your opinion is regarding stem cell donation, i.e. dead baby embryos. I'm sure you know the embryo is considered a human from day 1 according to Orthodox teachings. Is this wrong ?

Anastasios
Sr Member

Post by Anastasios »

I don't think organs from "dead donors" are immoral to use, unless the person's family is selling them or they are euthanized specifically so the organs are available (which happens in some countries, I believe).

I believe that stem cells derived from embryos are immoral to use because this creates a market for dead embryos and is the direct result of abortions and leftovers from in vitro fertilization procedures.

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

[quote="Fr Anastasios"]I don't think organs from "dead donors" are immoral to use, unless the person's family is selling them or they are euthanized specifically so the organs are available (which happens in some countries, I believe).

So, does this include heart transplants ? Do you hold the view of some modern theologians that the heart is a mere pump. or respect the teachings of Orthodox Fathers that the heart is also a spiritual organ ?
This is taken from the Orthodox Christian Information Center site, an article by Metropolitan St. Philaret An Orthodox View of Heart Transplantations
"The Human Heart. It was a belief among the ancients—among physicians in the age of the Egyptian Pharaohs, for example—that the heart is the center of the body, responsible for regulating all of its functions. The teachings of the Orthodox Church also hold that the heart is the center of the person, containing not only our individual identity, but harboring, in its chambers, many of the spiritual virtues to which we strive. The hesychastic teachings of St. Gregory Palamas, drawn from an ancient tradition of the Church, concentrate human activity in the heart. It is the physical regulation of the heart beat and breathing which, in part, accounts for the intensity of concentrated prayer achieved by those who reach up in prayer with their bodies to touch and be transformed by the Grace of God. Our bodies correctly used, St. Gregory Palamas tells us, are not evil, but are the very temple of the Holy Spirit. And the heart is the repository of Divine Grace. "
The entire article can be found here :
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/heart_trans.aspx

Anastasios
Sr Member

Post by Anastasios »

Do you hold the view of some modern theologians that the heart is a mere pump. or respect the teachings of Orthodox Fathers that the heart is also a spiritual organ ?

I refuse to answer setup questions like this--as if I would disrespect the teaching of the Orthodox Fathers!

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

Fr Anastasios wrote:

Do you hold the view of some modern theologians that the heart is a mere pump. or respect the teachings of Orthodox Fathers that the heart is also a spiritual organ ?

I refuse to answer setup questions like this--as if I would disrespect the teaching of the Orthodox Fathers!

Sorry you took the question as a "setup", do you think I'm out to "get you ? Please Fr. Anastasios do'nt be so paranoid.
Are you saying that you do'nt see a problem with organ transplants taken from dead bodies but are against heart transplants ?