Patristic Quote of the Day

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

Patristic Quote of the Day

Post by Justin Kissel »

Profanity has become commonplace--a thing that is extremely unbefitting Christians--as to say 'By God!", "God be upon it!", "As God is my witness!", "God look after it!", "For Christ's sake!", and many others. And these are said by some people quite often, even in every utterance. Such profanity is nothing but a satanic plot devised to dishonor the name of God and for the destruction of man. You should guard yourself from swearing in these and other ways. - Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk (as found in Journey To Heaven)

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Let not those who seem worthy of credit, but teach strange doctrines, fill thee with apprehension. Stand firm, as does an anvil which is beaten. It is the part of a noble athlete to be wounded, and yet to conquer. - Sinat Ignatius, Epistle to Polycarp, 3

Last edited by Justin Kissel on Sat 19 July 2003 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

We all look toward the East to pray, but very few among us realize that we are seeking again our ancient native land, the paradise that God planted in the East towards Eden. - Saint Basil the Great, Treatise on the Holy Spirit, 27

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate these daily patristic quotes. They are short and to the point, while powerful and seemingly on topic to many of the discussions of the day. Thank you!

Logos

Post by Logos »

I agree with Nicholas, these quotes are quite edifying.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Let us then take heed that, in wishing to relax our minds, we do not destroy all harmony, the blending as it were of all good works. For habit quickly bends nature in another direction. - Saint Ambrose, Duties of the Clergy, 1, 20

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

There is another question to be asked: why is it that, whereas the priest asks them to pray for so many different things, the faithful in fact ask for one thing only--mercy? Why is this the sole cry they send forth to God?

In the first place, as we have already said, it is because this prayer implies both gratitude and confession. Secondly, to beg God's mercy is to ask for his kingdom, that kingdom which Christ promised to give to those who seek for it, assuring them that all things else of which they have need will be added unto them (Matt. 6:33). Because of this, this prayer is sufficient for the faithful, since its application is general. - Nicholas Cabasilas, Commentary on the Divine Liturgy, 13