Russian Memorial Church Consecrated !!

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Russian Memorial Church Consecrated !!

Post by bogoliubtsy »

How can we not rejoice at this? How can we not take this as a sign that things have changed, or are changing for the better? How can we say that the prophesies are not being fulfilled, or that the MP hasn't changed course?
Glory be to God!

From Yahoo!

Russian Memorial Church Consecrated
Wed Jul 16, 3:01 PM ET Add World - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALEXEI VLADYKIN, Associated Press Writer

YEKATERINBURG, Russia - Surrounded by crowds of Russian Orthodox faithful, clerics on Wednesday consecrated a memorial church on the spot where Czar Nicholas II and his family were shot to death by the Bolsheviks 85 years ago.

AP Photo

Russian Orthodox priests wearing gilt-edged red robes chanted and carried crosses in Yekaterinburg, where the last czar, his wife, Alexandra, and their five children were executed in a cellar on July 17, 1918.

The Church on the Blood, a white-walled structure topped by several shining gold-colored onion domes at different levels, was built on the execution site at a cost of $1 million, much of it donated by large companies, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported.

At least 1,000 pilgrims came to Yekaterinburg for the ceremony, some traveling hundreds of miles on foot and staying at a tent camp set up in a nearby field.

The ceremony also drew Romanov descendants and well-known people including musician Mstislav Rostropovich.

"I am delighted that I am here on this historic day. This place is known to everyone as the Russian Calvary," a descendant of the Romanov's, Olga Kulikovskaya-Romanova said at the ceremony.

Metropolitan Yuvenaly, a top Russian Orthodox cleric, told NTV television that the consecration of the memorial church bore "a meaning of repentance, a meaning of reconciliation and the unity of Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church."

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II has been ill lately and was advised by his doctors not to travel to Yekaterinburg, in the Ural Mountains about 900 miles east of Moscow, ITAR-Tass reported.

In a message, Alexy said the consecration suggests "a possible historic turn" for Russia and called for unity among the dominant Russian Orthodox church, the state and the Russian people. In imperial Russia, church and state were extremely close and the czar was considered to have the divine right to rule.

Alexy said it is important "that at the place where the blood of the holy regal martyrs was spilled, where an attempt to destroy Russia was undertaken, should begin a revival of the glorious traditions under which both the authorities and ordinary citizens try to coordinate their affairs with God's precepts ... to build the kind of Fatherland that would correspond to the ideal of Holy Russia."

At the main entrance to the church stands a sculpture depicting the last minutes of the Romanov's lives — surrounded by members of his family, Nicholas clutches his son, the Czarevich Alexei, to his chest.

Nicholas, who abdicated in March 1917 as revolutionary fervor swept Russia, was canonized by the church in 2000, along with his family, after years of debate on the issue following the collapse of the Soviet regime.

Nicholas and his family were detained and in April 1918 they were sent to Yekaterinburg. Three months later, a firing squad lined them up in the basement of a merchant's house and shot them. The palace, called the Ipatyev House, was demolished in 1977 on orders from Boris Yeltsin, who was the top regional official at the time.

The remains of the royal family were unearthed from a mining pit near Yekaterinburg in 1991, amid the Soviet collapse, and were buried in St. Petersburg's Peter and Paul Cathedral in 1998, after years of genetic tests and disputes about their authenticity. The remains of two of the children were never found.

Methodius

Re: Russian Memorial Church Consecrated !!

Post by Methodius »

Peter J. Hatala wrote:

How can we not rejoice at this? How can we not take this as a sign that things have changed, or are changing for the better? How can we say that the prophesies are not being fulfilled, or that the MP hasn't changed course? Glory be to God!

Rarely does one good thing create a complete paradigm shift.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=641
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=643
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=544

BTW did you see this for when you visit St. Petersburg?
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=599

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

This event is one in a seriesof positive events.... I think we should all be very optimistic about the future and thankful to God that deliverence "from the bitter torment of the godless authorities" finally happened....that the canonization of the royal martyrs by the MP, which would have been unthinkable just 20 years ago, has taken place...and that churches are being built by the MP over the site of the martyrdom with messages of repentence from the Patriarch of Moscow! These much prayed for events are happening!

...he who has received a gift from God, and is ungrateful for it, is already on the way to losing it..." St. Peter of Damaskos

We should be thanking God, I believe. We should also be more like bees and less like flies in our outlook....always looking for the honey and not the you know what.

As for St. Petersburg...I wish I had seen that info a couple of months ago before I had made arrangements. Maybe next time....thanks for bringing it to my attention though.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

You'd better be careful of the flyswatters you'll ignore as you'll focus only on the honey Mr. killer bee.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Peter,

Over the last day or so I've been reading various articles written by Fr. Seraphim, and it's amazing how optimistic he was about the revival he saw in Russia even back in the 70's and early 80's! :) I for one look with both happiness and fear as I watch events unfold--I long for Russia to once again become strong in the faith, but very quickly after that the Anti-Christ will come (according to certain prophecies).

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Yes! He did seem very optimistic about the way things were going, even in the 70's and 80's when communism was still around. I'm sure he's be overjoyed today. It also seems that he, like many others who spoke on the topic of the MP, never really entertained the thought that communion wouldn't be possible afterthe fall of communism. Fr. Seraphim's positivity, even 20 or 30 years ago, is a great example for us all... what's interesting is that his tone seems to run completely counter to the tone of some of the more extreme types who are now speaking after the fall of communism! Fr. Seraphim praised the struggles of certain MP priests like Fr. Dmitri Dudko while the Church was basically enslaved. Now the Church is free from soviet control, the KGB is dead, and the former attackers and persecutors of the Russian Church have been replaced by extremist Orthodox.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Peter J. Hatala wrote:

Now the Church is free from soviet control, the KGB is dead, and the former attackers and persecutors of the Russian Church have been replaced by extremist Orthodox.

:ohvey: Bad form Peter. Comparing Godless Communists & KGB agents like the current Moscow Patriarch to Orthodox Extremists? :o