The Good Word - Oct/Dec 2014 issue - (GOC-K Portland)

Moderators: Mark Templet, Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

The Good Word - Oct/Dec 2014 issue - (GOC-K Portland)

Post by Maria »

Message from Father Panagiotes Carras' Yahoo Group

• Beloved Christians,

Please log onto the website for the Diocese of Portland at http://www.gocportland.org and look to the right side of the homepage. You will see a column with the title "The Good Word." At the top of this column you will see a tab for Volume II • Issue 2 • Oct/Dec 2014 of "The Good Word" newsletter of the Diocese of Portland. This issue has a very edifying lead article by Bishop Sergios titled, "Have we not prophesied in Thy name? And in Thy name done many wonderful works?" along with news and information. There is also a recipe for "Ultimate Green Taco Wraps" with "meat" made from a lentil, walnut herb mix.

Please take the time to read this edifying and useful periodical of our Church.

In Christ,

+Moses

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: The Good Word - Oct/Dec 2014 issue - (GOC-K Portland)

Post by Maria »

I just read this edition of The Good Word, and it is excellent as it gives hope to those who live far from a local parish and who must depend on Readers Services. If we look at St. Mary of Egypt, she was all alone in the desert for about 33 years. Yet, the Lord provided for her needs and sent Fr. Zozimus to bring her Holy Communion, which would be her last.

However, there is a footnote that causes me a little concern as it recommends Fr. John Romanides' introduction to his book, The Ancestral Sin published by Zephyr Press. Fr. John Romanides was an ecumenist and a member of World Orthodoxy. Not all books written by members of World Orthodoxy are to be shunned, but one must be careful. Has anyone read this book?

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Post by Cyprian »

Nearly ten years ago. I was given the book The Ancestral Sin by John Romanides to read by the protopriest of the HOCNA church I was attending. At this time I was an extremely voracious reader and would devour all sorts of Orthodox writings, especially the writings of the Holy Fathers. For some reason, even though this book was not very long, I just couldn't bring myself to read it. For some reason I was drawn towards other writings and would never seem to make time for this book, even though I kept telling myself I should read it.

Eventually, after months went by, I felt guilty for keeping the book for so long without returning it, so I forced myself to read it. It was not worth reading. Anyone who finds The Ancestral Sin or pretty much any other writing of John Romanides useful must not have much experience with the Holy Fathers, for the writings of Romanides are not imbued with the same spirit.

When I returned the book to the priest, he asked to know what I thought of it. I told him in as polite of a way as possible that I didn't really agree with some of things presented in the book. He looked shocked, expressed consternation, and said: "The monastery (i.e. HTM in Boston) thinks very highly of him."

It was not long after that it become apparent that the HOCNA leadership was under the spell of this heretic Romanides, and it was one of the reasons I chose to leave them. Sadly, some clergy who have also left that group still carry their Romanides baggage with them.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Welcome back, Cyprian!

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Indeed, welcome back. You have been missed.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

The retired Bishop Sergios (Black) was originally a monastic with the OCA before he converted to HOCNA and then to the GOC-K. Many members of the OCA and GOARCH are avid readers of Fr. John Romanides.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

I recall being told that Fr Romanides' writings are not included in the required readings for our Three Hierarchs seminary. He is indeed controversial, though others are better qualified to critique his writings than I am.