Really: Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore!

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Really: Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore!

Post by Maria »

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/holi ... stmas.html

• When I was a kid, I knew two different Santa Clauses. The first had a fat belly, rosy cheeks, a long white beard, and skin as pink as bubble gum. ...

Then there was the Santa in my family’s household, in the form of ornaments, cards, and holiday figurines. A near-carbon copy of the first one—big belly, rosy cheeks, long white beard: check, check, check. But his skin was as dark as mine.

What is Aisha Harris' solution? This new Santa (hardly a saint) is now found in stores and imprinted on fabrics throughout the USA --- a penguin. Snowman would not be acceptable as he is as white as snow.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Really: Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore!

Post by jgress »

It's sad that Harris thinks Santa Claus is just a make-believe figure of fun, and not a real saint who really struggled and really brought others to salvation and really helped children and the poor. She might realize it's not about being black or white or any other color.

This is one of my favorite depictions of "Santa Claus":

jgress

Post by jgress »

And here a link to the story behind the painting:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/s ... execution/

jgress

Post by jgress »

Actually I've read the whole page and I don't endorse everything the author says. In particular, the author tries to make a point that St Nicholas would have opposed the death penalty in all cases, while to me the whole point of the story is that the condemned men were innocent, and that everyone knew this, so the governor who ordered the execution must have been corrupt in some way (shown by his later repentance).

Note how St Nicholas unflinchingly grabs the blade of the sword. He would have cut his hand severely, at least if the executioner had done his job and sharpened the blade for the purpose of beheading. True saints have no fear of anything.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

That is quite a painting! Repin was a great artist.
I also think the article is misleading. Do Orthodox Christians at baptism really vow never to kill another human being? That is the first time I've heard of that.

Isn't the red-suited Santa from a Coca-Cola advertisment? I never really thought that it had anything to do with St. Nicholas.

I saw an interview with the author of the article, and she said that it was written tongue-in-cheek. But, of course, some people are offended with everything. A penguin Santa, indeed!

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

When I went to JoAnn's to pick up some flannel for Christmas, there were only reindeer and penguins. That was it. Absolutely no Santas in flannel. They did not even have a decent pattern with snowflakes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress

Post by jgress »

Lydia wrote:

That is quite a painting! Repin was a great artist.
I also think the article is misleading. Do Orthodox Christians at baptism really vow never to kill another human being? That is the first time I've heard of that.

Isn't the red-suited Santa from a Coca-Cola advertisment? I never really thought that it had anything to do with St. Nicholas.

I saw an interview with the author of the article, and she said that it was written tongue-in-cheek. But, of course, some people are offended with everything. A penguin Santa, indeed!

You're quite that she was being tongue-in-cheek. My point is more that the premise of the article (which she even states explicitly) is that, as St Nicholas is make-believe anyway, we might as well make up something racially inclusive. It's just a symptom for the general disrespect of our culture towards this great saint.