40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Moderators: Mark Templet, Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Post by Barbara »

This date is coming up on April 13, 2016 for any who wish to observe the 40th anniversary of Rocor's Archbishop Averky [Taushev ], a well-respected professor at Jordanville.

Archbishop Averky is notable for having stood up for St John Maximovitch during the difficult era of the unbelievably malicious court case against the Saint. [It seems, by the way, that Rocor-MP is now writing the latter's name "Maximovich". I wonder why the change ? ]

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: 40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Post by Maria »

I have moved this thread into Traditional Orthodoxy as it deals with Archbishop Averky who died in 1976 well before the ROCOR joined the MP.

Not all the ROCOR-pre MP hierarchs, clergy and faithful were Traditionalists, so one needs to be careful. Note that the infamous Archbishop Anthony of Geneva was a notorious ecumenist who convinced many in the ROCOR to join the MP, so he can neither be considered as a Traditionalist nor as a True Orthodox Christian.

Maria
Admin

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: 40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for moving it to the appropriate place. I wanted to put it here originally, but feared I would be making a mistake. Now I know better how to gauge where to put which subject related to Rocor [ versus the latest edition, which is unfortunately under the control of Moscow. ]