New Attack from Ancient Faith Radio vs. the True Orthodox

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: New Attack from Ancient Faith Radio vs. the True Orthodo

Post by Matthew »

Yes, I love the open spaces of no pews or only a few chairs or pews on the side or at the back. Pews make the people more like spectators rather than worshippers participating in the liturgical worship of God.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Revnitel wrote:

Segregrated congregations may not necessarily reflect the needs of modern families best.

Did old families have different needs than modern ones? In Georgia, there is strict separation of sexes at church, veils for ladies etc. In Serbia too but less strictly.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Revnitel »

In earlier times, the care of children was more entrusted to the women. Now there tends to be a more shared responsibility for children. But then again I do think crying rooms are great ideas for parishes.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

In fact, crying room is not a good idea because children are part of the church and should attend the services. Putting there in a different room is like saying services are something for adults only and they are not part of it. Regarding who takes care of the child, well it keeps on being mostly the lady's job practically but as I read, the sex segragation should apply to children too...

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

frphoti
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOC Kallinikos

Post by frphoti »

Let me put my two cents in here. I think pews are fine for those who cannot stand, whether it be from age, illness, long work, etc. As for crying rooms, I think they are great -for crying, loud children. Let the non-screaming children be among the rest of the faithful in the building, but if they are screaming, or throwing a fit, bring them to the cry-room. When they clam up, bring them back. It's that simple. We allow children in the services for good and pious reasons. We also disallow any screaming from anyone for the same. If children want to worship with the adults, they will learn to do so by being with the adults, when acting like one.

Obviously babies have little to no control over this, but that's what the room is for. When they are peaceful, keep them in by all means.

Just my opinion.

Truly, if the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father is perfect, then that from the Son is superfluous.
St. Photios the Great

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

That seems to have the best approach, based upon behaviour and what suits the situation at various times. I had not thought of that. It makes a lot of practical sense, I think.

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Revnitel »

Indeed, pews are should be there for the aged and infirm and that is what I have indicated, but NOT up to the kliros. Around the perimeter of the church with "some" chairs as necessary. As far as "crying rooms being a bad idea", in reality a crying, loud, disruptive child is best left to have a place to calm down and find quiet than to disturb the worship of others. As they become more orderly and mature, of course, they should be worshipping with the rest of the congregation, but to hold children to adult standards is neither realistic nor even possible. Children are children. They act up. Sometimes it is necessary to realize that and provide for the needs of the congregation and their parents so that they can be weened off of it without disruption of the services.

Indeed lipstick on the icons and the Chalice is tacky, not too mention overpowering perfumes and flashy clothes.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),