Count the number of the beast: 666

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

I missed, on first reading, probably with Joasia, the "lol" at the end of Nektarios' post.

A goofy joke.

8)

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

Schultz

Post by Schultz »

joasia wrote:

I got it and found it slightly amusing. Lighten up a bit, people.

It's a very serious subject and should be considered with great respect and fear. Or maybe the two of you are just making fun of us?

Well, if you and Nektarios want to make jokes about it, then keep it to yourselves. You both have a very weird sense of humour.

No one is making fun of you, Joanna, or making fun of the article. Nektarios is Orthodox. He was engaging in a bit of self-deprecating humor based on the fact that most Orthodox (such those who are not as pious as you are) do not even bother with the Book of Revelation because it is not read at all publically during the services of the Church, where the vast majority of Orthodox people hear the Holy Writ.

Since I engage in self-deprecating humor, and I actually read his whole post (ie. "lol"), I found it amusing and was merely trying to explain his joke. Perhaps the old adage that if you have to explain a joke, it's not funny applies here, but just because you didn't/can't get it doesn't mean that someone is making fun of you or making light of the article itself.

For the record, I happen to agree with the substance of the original post. The Mark of the Beast is not some computer chip or ID card, but a mark on the soul which stems from the rejection of Jesus Christ.

Melanie

Read me!

Post by Melanie »

I highly reccomend "The Apocalypse: In the Teachings of Ancient Christianity" by Archbishop Averky Taushev & Father Seraphim Rose as far as dealing with the issue of the Book of Revelation. It goes through verse by verse. Very interesting.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I highly reccomend "The Apocalypse: In the Teachings of Ancient Christianity" by Archbishop Averky Taushev & Father Seraphim Rose as far as dealing with the issue of the Book of Revelation. It goes through verse by verse. Very interesting.

I have that book and that's what got me so concerned in the first place. And since it's in the Holy Bible and written by St. John the Theologian...it is something that we should read. The church doesn't refer to it in their services because the services are focused on our repentance and participation of Holy Communion, but the holy fathers have made references to it, as a warning of the end times.

There are many aspects of the Orthodox faith. And one of them is to consider the time of the anti-christ.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

As I understand it, the Revelation is not read during services due to the difficult and confusing nature of its expression, and not because it does not address repentance or the Eucharist. It was an epistle to specific churches, some of whom were called specifically to repentance.

The Revelation also informed many characteristics of liturgical worship, ironically (perhaps).

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

icxn

Post by icxn »

Elder Cleopa has an interesting explanation on the number 666 which - I think - goes all the way back to St. Maximus the Confessor...

Brother: "Father, the Apocalypse speaks about the seal of the antichrist, 666, which is the power of the antichrist."

Elder: "Brother do you really believe that this is literally the numerals 666? These three successive sixes symbolize the three horrible passions that will reign over the world in the last days. These passions are:

• "Uncontrollable fleshly desires for fornication, adultery and drunkenness as has never before been seen.

• "Careless conjectures which lead to adherence to heresies, all kinds of confusions, spiritual sicknesses, witchcraft, despair and suicides.

• "The third six refers to unjustified anger, or hatred among mankind-wars, revolutions, all sorts of violent crimes, arguments, unrest between Christians, between parents and children, as it is written in the Holy Gospel.

"All these passions, which are symbolized through the number 666, rule over the earth today and will continue to do so until the end of the world and the final judgment. Then every person will be judged according to his deeds.

"Do you think that there will be an actual stamp with the number 666? Stupid! If you insist on the literal 666 as in the Apocalypse, then I will ask you to show me the dragon, and the fiery red horse, the pale yellow horse, the black- horse and the city that gave birth-literally became a woman and gave birth.

"Now you tell me what these are? What are the seven cups of God's anger, or the seven trumpets? Come on, tell me!

icxn[/list]

Stepanov

Post by Stepanov »

That was great info, icxn.

I realize it was the Elder Cleopa Ilie who said that, but in what book is it found?

Perhaps you could post a link?