On the question of the calendar

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

Joasia,

If you accuse the Fathers of St. Markellas of judging you, then why do you see fit to judge them?

I understand the Church can be hard sometimes, but the fanatic and rigid Holy Fathers set the examples. I know enough of the fathers at St. Markella's and I know of many stories on how they work with the neighborhood youth and the homeless. I also know how visitors, dulled by so many years of new-calendarism, sometimes come and are scandalized that they have to wear a headscarf , cannot wear pants, or cannot accept that they have to confess, ect, ect.

I have to completely agree with this too. I have known the fathers there too and seen their constant acts of love in the neighborhood. They have been nothing but kind and welcoming to me. I don't really agree with their whole ''no Grace'' thing and think they are wrong about a number of things, perhaps even unrealisticly too strict with modern man (as I know they follow the canons there to the T). I have also heard some pretty crazy ideas from a monk there such as an opposition to putting murderers is jail because they are carrying out God's will. But as individuals and Christians, they are superb and I could only hope to be anything like them.

Nicholas (savva)

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I wasn't talking about Agia Markella. Aren't they with Sotirios (new calendar)?

I was baptised in the O.C. Greek church. I wear a scarf, all the time. And I don't wear pants. I'm not scandalized by that. Or the strictness of fasts etc.

I was talking about the narrow-mindedness of certain priests. They lack compassion. I know what I'm talking about and the people I'm talking about. It's not only my personal opinion.

But, in order not to start gossip, I want to make commentary about what I felt, without naming names. Ok?

But, it stops here. I made my opinion and I will not continue.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

wo. Savva24, what are you talking about? you mean Montreal? or in Us? That's just odd, to say that Joasia said anything about Saint Marcella, when the name of that Church wasn't even called.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

John,

God bless you for explaining it so clearly. I am not a theologian, so I have expressed myself about the calendar in simple terms from the heart, in which, many on this board have attacked me. But, this is a wonderful historical explanation. How can anyone ever have the audacity to question it?

“ …Yet it is also patristic, orthodox, ecclesiastical, lived and celebrated at the same time by the whole Church, both in heaven and earth

That is what I have expressed in another thread, but people still argued with me. Heaven and earth must celebrate in unison. The new calendar has severed that bond.

Please stick around. I'd love to hear your explanations to the commentaries made against this.

In Christ, Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Well sain John. Remember even the most traditionalist synods had fallen under the economy of the New Calendar. (ROCOR anyone?)

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

romiosini wrote:

wo. Savva24, what are you talking about? you mean Montreal? or in Us? That's just odd, to say that Joasia said anything about Saint Marcella, when the name of that Church wasn't even called.

I am talking about St. Markella's in Astoria, NY. But hey, I wasn't the one who brought it up in the first place; it was OOD. I was just following up his thoughts with my own impression of the fathers there. I think he brought it up because Josia said she was baptised under bishop Paul. Metropolitan Palvos (Paul) is the head of an Old Calendar church's American branch for which St. Markella's is the center of. But it seems that she it talking about another Bishop Paul.

Josia:
You must be thiniking of St. Irene's (also in Astoria) which was Old Calender at on point but joined the Ecumenical Patriarchate and recently (according to rumor) was forced to accept the New Calendar.

Nick (Savva)

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Calendar Question.

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

To get back on topic, here is another thread on the calendar question chock full of articles on the subject.