Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Post by Maria »

The Orthodox Christian Church has always and in all places urged women to cover their heads from the beginning of Christianity. Unfortunately, the modernists of the 20th century have urged women to free themselves sexually, and thus to stop wearing the headcovering, which is a sign of modesty.

Even St. Nectarios of Aegina in the early 20th century lamented the changes wrought by his priestly contemporaries to change the priestly appearance by the removal of facial hair and the cessation of the frock by priests. These highly educated innovative modernists and ecumenists, including the freemason Patriarch Meletius, urged the wearing of either business suits or the Roman collar by priests.

In other words, all forms of modest apparel in men and women have now been shunned, and the Scriptures that advocate modesty have been questioned as not representing our Sacred and Holy Traditions.

Also appalling is the use of big "T" and little "t" for our Sacred Traditions, as such has crept in from Roman Catholicism and is not part of Holy Orthodoxy. We see the fruit of this insidious modernism today with the fashion industry creating more and more revealing garments that would make most nuns and the Most Holy Theotokos weep.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

StephenS, that work sounds dreadful !
Frightening to even think about.

How to handle the gross people you work with ? Isn't it nauseating ??
How can you deal with it ?

Good points, however.

Bishop Nikodim of Richmond thought a "maxi-skirt" was "too extreme" ? I am surprised !
I don't think so.

I remember though hearing that term, it was so current in maybe the 60s.
It sounds silly to us today.

Of course, few women wear lengthy skirts, or even skirts at all, choosing jeans which look tacky and unkempt instead.

Did you ever meet Bp Nikodim yourself, StephenS ? Was he a good old Rocor Bishop ?

Recently, I went to Costco here in Los Angeles, and as I was exiting the store, a older woman wearing a floor length maxi dress walked right in front of me. The sun was shining and I could see through her sheer transparent lacy dress as she was not wearing an underskirt or slip or much of anything else. ugh! I immediately averted my eyes, but it was too late. If I had not seen her, I might have bumped into her with my shopping cart.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Three posts have been split out to form a new thread:
History of E. Cafe and O.C. Net

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 296#p56296

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

Well, I clicked on the link...meh.
My cousin was a server with St. John Maximovich in Shanghai and, for a while, in San Francisco. He told us that if a person (man or woman) were dressed in a manner that St. John disapproved of (no veil, wearing pants for women. tight pants or short-sleeves for men) he would stand in front of that person, bow low, and "cense" him or her out of the church. My cousin said that St. John explained that if a person is too lofty to be humble in the House of God, then perhaps we are in the presence of a saint!
Apparently, this silent rebuke was well received and the results satisfactory. My cousin was born in Shanghai and is now almost 90 years old.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

What a wonderful story!

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Lydia wrote:

Well, I clicked on the link...meh.
My cousin was a server with St. John Maximovich in Shanghai and, for a while, in San Francisco. He told us that if a person (man or woman) were dressed in a manner that St. John disapproved of (no veil, wearing pants for women. tight pants or short-sleeves for men) he would stand in front of that person, bow low, and "cense" him or her out of the church. My cousin said that St. John explained that if a person is too lofty to be humble in the House of God, then perhaps we are in the presence of a saint!
Apparently, this silent rebuke was well received and the results satisfactory. My cousin was born in Shanghai and is now almost 90 years old.

Awesome story.