Coptic Orthodox

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Anastasios

Actually, I was trying to be as civil and loving as I could with my response. I answered the question. Period. No commentary about how my wife and I had to go churchless for 4 months because the local Antiochian Church was communing monophysites. No comment about the heartache we are going through since the Priest that married us (someone we respect), and my wife's adoptive god father, a deacon in the antiochian Church (not to mention the sponsor at our wedding), admittedly give communion to monophysites. There was no long diatribe about the impending collapse of world orthodoxy once they start officially communing them--something I fully believe. No, anastasios, I tried to be nice and just point to the problem, leaving my own personal problems and opinions out of it.

No one is saying Chalcedon should be overturned. It was right at the time, and it is right now. Anyone professing the monophysite position is a heretic.

No, the "Non-Chalcedonians" refuse to accept councils 4-7. They refuse to accept our saints. This means: they refuse to accept Orthodoxy. Chalcedon has not been overturned, you are correct! it has been buried under a pile of ecumenically toned reports and dialogues and position papers.

Justin

PS. You realise of course that the Gregorian Calendar is not the most accurate as well, right? :) I'm guessing that once the world decides to move on to a newer, more accurate, calendar, you'll move on again with them?

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Well, Greece is the world and we know it has a shoreline.

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

Justin:

OK I apologize. I found your one word reply to be terse. I will accept your explanation that you were trying to be charitable.

RE: Calendars, yes if the world comes up with a better calendar (such as adding leap days, etc.) I will accept it. If they moved to like a five-day calendar with no Sunday then maybe I would consider being an Old Calendarist.

OOD:

Good one!

anastasios

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Julianna

Heretics have no mysteries and there's no other Church!

Post by Julianna »

The canons are clear that there's no grace in a heretic's "mysteries". They're also clear that there's only one Church there isn't branches that're separated So neither the oriental church nor the papist church've grace or are the Church. Their baptisms are graceless and don't count. so their baptism doesn't count to the "one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins" in the creed. How can anyone believing that Orthodoxy is the one true Church accept heretical baptism or "mysteries" from heretics? Yes Orthodoc and Anastasios I'm calling you out

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

Is Severus a Saint, as believed by the Copts and who by doing so declare they share his faith, or is he a heretic, as believed by the Fourth Ecumenical Synod and all of our Saints?

O only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal, yet didst deign for our salvation to be incarnate of the Holy Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary and without change didst become man, and wast crucified, trampling upon death by death: Do Thou, O Christ our God, Who art one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit, Save us.

--Saint Severus of Antioch

This hymn sets forth the Orthodox teaching on the Second Person of the Trinity, the Son of God, Jesus Christ. He is the Only-begotten (one in essence) Son and Word of God, Christ God, Who, being immortal, became man, without ceasing to be God, and accepted a human body from the Holy Theotokos and ever-Virgin Mary. By His crucifixion, He with His death conquered death, "trampling down death by death," as one of the three Persons of the Holy Trinity, and is glorified equally with the Father and Holy Spirit.

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... urgy_e.htm

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Hello Mor Ephrem,

I hope all is well with you. I just got through reading "St. Thomas Christians Revolution in 1653" by "Rev." Jacob Kollaparambil.

Repetitive and at times the thoughts in the book seem to go nowhere, but overall, a fascinating history.

So Mor, why is it that you cannot confess the Tome of Leo? :)