Moscow Patriarchate Draws Nearer to the ROCOR

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I would definately concur with cparks here. Oddly enough, I just wrote on a fictional Q&A on my site yesterday that those looking into Orthodoxy should "be aware... that one group not being in communion with another group doesn't necessarily make either group heretical or schismatic: things aren't always black and white when it comes to such issues." At the time I also mentioned "Saint Justin Popovich" who "considered both the OCA and ROCA to be valid, even though the OCA and ROCA aren't actually in communion with each other."

I always try to keep in mind the words of my Patron Saint on this issue. While Saint Justin was very strict regarding relations between those inside and outside Orthodoxy, he was also very forgiving and "bending" regarding relations inside Orthodoxy; thus, we see him defending both the OCA and ROCOR in the same sentence (and this back when tensions were much higher, I think):

"On the other hand, the Churches apostolically zealous in missionary work, such as the American Metropolia, the Russian Church Abroad, the Japanese Church and others are not allowed a single representative!" - Saint Justin Popovich, On Summoning of the Great Council Of the Orthodox Church, 4

Logos

Re: The Modernism of Timothy Ware

Post by Logos »

Nicholas wrote:

Bishop Kallistos Ware is also in his latest revision of his books leaning towards woman's ordination and scaling down or removing the traditional iconstasis, among other things. Its really too bad.

This is what I meant in my earlier post. I don't like how he is leading towards the ordination of women. And the softening birth control I don't like either. Can someone tell of the items that the OCA needs to repent of?

As for not refuting heresies at Chrismation, in my OCA church, I believe my priest makes them refute them. I am not quite sure how it goes but they have to renounce Satan and spit on him.

Lounger

Repentisms

Post by Lounger »

They need to repent of ecumenism, modernism, and mixedcalendarism/mixedhorologionism in my opinionism. :lol:

cparks

Post by cparks »

mixedcalendarism

That's good. I like it...

Chrysostomos

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Fictional Questions and Answers???

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Parad?sis wrote:

Oddly enough, I just wrote on a fictional Q&A on my site yesterday that those looking into Orthodoxy should "be aware... that one group not being in communion with another group doesn't necessarily make either group heretical or schismatic: things aren't always black and white when it comes to such issues." At the time I also mentioned "Saint Justin Popovich" who "considered both the OCA and ROCA to be valid, even though the OCA and ROCA aren't actually in communion with each other."

What is a fictional Q&A?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I hate to say this, but isn't ROCOR also "infected" with "mixedcalendarism"? :oops: ;) I seem to recall hearing that a few parishes somewhere in Europe were allowed to retain the New Calendar after they came into ROCOR.

Nicholas, This is a fictional Q&A. It's essentially just a made-up dialogue to answer questions and provide information.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

A late reply

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I have to agree with the others in liking the term "mixedcalendarism"

Justin, nice Q&A! I didn't think we had any new calendar churches left. I thought that some were just given the economy of time to get their people used to the church's calendar.