Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Post by Maria »

There have been two recent news stories about perverts who take pictures up women's skirts or dresses using either a hand held camera/cell phone or one attached to their shoe.

Here is a recent news story:
http://www.kjonline.com/news/Man-with-s ... kirts.html

If women wore long skirts, would these perverted activities cease or be less likely to happen?

Yes, I know that the above is a hypothetical question, but what are the chances that women wearing decent long dresses or skirts that are ankle length would be harassed by such perverts?

[Edited to correct some grammatical errors. Sorry.]

Last edited by Maria on Sat 12 January 2013 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox

Re: Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Post by Revnitel »

As a man I like both. As an Orthodox Christian, it seems to me modesty is best reflected by something which covers more of the body.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

If a man is degenerate enough to do things like this, he will find a way no matter how the woman is dressed. Look what happens to women around the world who wear niquabs, burkas, etc.
Let's not start blaming the victim...

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox

Post by Revnitel »

Men will be men and women will be women. Modesty and honor are rare commodities these days, but the more steps we take to make them reality, the less we have to worry about.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Lydia wrote:

Let's not start blaming the victim...

Oh my. That is the cry of the politically correct feminists who want the right to wear indecent clothing even though wearing immodest dress does tempt certain guys. Yes, those guys are out of control; yes, they are either perverts or they are under the influence, but that does not excuse feminists who flaunt and tempt men.

We Christians have put on Christ by our Holy Baptism. We are living temples of the Holy Spirit. As temples of the Holy Spirit, we should be modestly dressed. If we really acted like Christians, we would make a difference in this world. As St. Seraphim of Sarov stated, "Acquire the Holy Spirit, and a thousand souls around you will be saved."

Perhaps if we prayed unceasingly, acted with sobriety, controlled all our senses, and dressed modestly (guys as well as girls), then all of us would not be tempted so much. However, with the exposure to lurid TV, radio, billboard, and internet ads and programs, most of us are really struggling. If we are not struggling, then we are failing. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

Please Maria, be realistic. When 80 year old women and months old infants are sexually assaulted , it is clear the motivation of these men is pure evil.Period.
It has nothing to do with the way these victims were dressed or how they acted.
Orthodox women and even nuns who dress and act modestly are victims of sexual assault. Do not blame the victim!

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Lydia wrote:

Please Maria, be realistic. When 80 year old women and months old infants are sexually assaulted , it is clear the motivation of these men is pure evil.Period.
It has nothing to do with the way these victims were dressed or how they acted.
Orthodox women and even nuns who dress and act modestly are victims of sexual assault. Do not blame the victim!

I am not blaming the victim.

Yes, nuns and innocent babes have been raped, and there is no excuse for the perpetrator of such heinous crimes.

Nevertheless, we must be realistic about the effect of racy TV shows and radio talk shows, distracting billboard advertising that causes drivers to have rubber necks, and immodest dress. We all must struggle against our passions until the day we die.