Help! Looking for icon

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Ephraem
Jr Member

Help! Looking for icon

Post by Ephraem »

My wife's patron saint is St. Zenaida (sometimes spelled Zenais), cousin of the Apostle Paul, holy unmercenary physician (and sister to Philonella, also an unmercenary). We have not had too much luck finding her icon.

We have found a tiny icon of Zenaida, but would like something a little larger for our icon corner. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

God bless!

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

ORPRcamper
Jr Member

Post by ORPRcamper »

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

The OCA may have an icon for you. I found this off of their site.

http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Feas ... ml#zinaida

The Martyrs Zenaida and Philonilla of Tarsus lived in Tarsus in Cilicia during the first century, and were related to the holy Apostle Paul. They were pious Christian women, and both of them shared a love of learning. By whatever means were available to them at that time, they acquired medical knowledge.

The two sisters left their home and settled in a cave near the city of Demetriada, where they lived in constant prayer and work. The citizens of Demetriada soon learned that there were two women doctors who gladly treated everyone who turned to them for help, yet did not require payment for their services. They also healed people's souls by converting them to Christ.

One night, some pagans went to their cave and stoned them. Sts. Zenaida and Philonilla suffered martyrdom for Christ, thereby receiving incorruptible crowns of glory from the Lord.

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

Thanks for taking the time to investigate, Juvenaly.
However, we have already printed this image and framed it, only to come to the realization that this might not be Zenaida. The name on the icon is ZENH, which is Xenia.
(Compare: http://www.goarch.org/en/Chapel/saints. ... tentid=401 )

I was going to contact the OCA webmaster to follow up on the question of this particular icon, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

It's actually the calligraphic X ( x in greek)

Reader Benjamin

Post by Reader Benjamin »

I have an Icon on the wall that has Holy Unmercenary Physician Zenaida, Philonella, and Hermione. My exwife sent it to me when she separated herself from Orthodoxy, she had gotten it while we were separated and divorced but before she separated from Orthodoxy. I don't know where she got it and it looks like who ever took the picture of it to make icons with was not straight infront of it, it looks a little askew.

Is this somthing you might be interested in? If it is send me a private mesage.