Flower girls during Holy Saturday Matins

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Flower girls during Holy Saturday Matins

Post by Jean-Serge »

Christ is risen!

I have seen a strane photo on facebook in a world orthodox parish. It was taken during the matins of Holy Saturday when the priest reads the Lamentations in front of the epitaphion. At each side of the epitaphios, was a young unveiled girl of some 6 y-o, dressed in white and holding a candle. I asked and was told by some it has been like this for 15 years in different jurisdictions... I guess it is the classical "everyone should participate" (as if standing in prayer was not paticipating) and "let us involve ladies too" stuff, but how extended is such practice in the US?

Last edited by jgress on Tue 21 May 2013 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited to change the title as this thread deals with immodest fashions also

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: Girl candle bearers during Holy Saturday matins

Post by Jean-Serge »

Could someone explain me what is going on? Where and when does this come from?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Could someone explain me what is going on? Where and when does this come from?

There is an innovation in quite a few OCA parishes here in the States.
In the past, the OCA even had altar girls, but that was stopped by the hierarchy.

Currently, during the Divine Liturgy, there is a group of girls from age 4 to 18 called "Handmaidens." A couple of these young girls accompanied by an older teenager accept the extra loaves of bread from the priest during the offertory, exit the church in procession, and then proceed to enter the sacristy through the back door to cut this bread blessed by the priest. Note: This cutting of the Antidoron is normally done by the altar boys. The original lamb is cut by the Priest before the Divine Liturgy.

These same girls carry flower baskets on Palm Sunday filled with bay leaves and flower pedals which they scatter on the ground ahead of the priest in procession. However, the militant women in charge of these Handmaidens keep approaching their priest for more and more duties to be given these girls to keep them in church. Needless to say, even with these novel activities, many girls no longer darken the church steps once they turn "sweet" 16.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

OK, I see, well it looks like the feminist stuff. However, the picture I used is not from an OCA parish but from a GOC-Kallinikos parish in Canada. See here. So the feminist plague seems to be everywhere.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

OK, I see, well it looks like the feminist stuff. However, the picture I used is not from an OCA parish but from a GOC-Kallinikos parish in Canada. See here. So the feminist plague seems to be everywhere.

Is the presence of young modestly dressed flower girls on Palm Sunday or Holy Friday a recent innovation? There are variations in Russian and in Greek practices.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Mod Note: Since this topic pertains to a GOC-Kallinikos parish, I am moving this thread into Intra-TOC Polemics.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Maria wrote:

Is the presence of young modestly dressed flower girls on Palm Sunday or Holy Friday a recent innovation? There are variations in Russian and in Greek practices.

That's exactly my question... Since when, why etc. According to what I remember in some places, the priest puts petals on the eiptaphion but that girls put them around or on it, is unknown to me. Other question: why do they all wear white? Well since the parish has a website, I'll ask directly and let you know.