Quiz - Are you Chalcedon compliant?

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

Because I reject the Latin understanding of Original Sin I'm tagged as a full-blown Pelagian (I suspect). I can tell you, however, that I am not a Pelagian. The designer of the quiz must be a heretic himself! :?

According to the quiz results:
You are a Pelagian. You reject ideas about man's fallen human nature and believe that as a result we are able to fully obey God. You are the first Briton to contribute significantly to Christian thought, but you're still excommunicated in 417.

Chalcedon compliant

Code: Select all

100%

Pelagianism

100%

Nestorianism

33%

Modalism

33%

Monophysitism

33%

Arianism

0%

Apollanarian

0%

Adoptionist

0%

Docetism

0%

Donatism

0%

Albigensianism

0%

Monarchianism

0%

Gnosticism

0%

Socinianism

0%

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

Archangel

Post by Archangel »

"Original sin" is the Augustinian sense means that Adam's posterity has inherited his guilt. We are all guilty of his disobedience. Orthodox do not accept this extra-patristic, post-patristic anthropology. Man has not inherited guilt, he has inherited mortality. Sinful Adam took death into his substance; but we share in that substance, so we are mortal. Orthodox are not Pelagians; but Protestants and Roman Catholics are Augustinians. Just as bad. Their conception of Adam's fall is wrong.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Good post Archangel. I have read that Orthodox explanation too.

Here's an added thought. The only way we can overcome that taint of mortality-death, is by Holy Baptism. Before that, we are a slave to death. We end up in death. But, with Holy Baptism, we are freed from eternal death and can reach God's Kingdom, but that's up to us, from this point on.

Christ broke the bond of ending in death and giving us eternal life after our physical repose, whereas Adam and his generations until the Ressurection were in a state of death..outside of the Holy Kingdom which is eternal life.

In Christ, Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

For the wages of sin is death (Romans 6.23)

By acknowledging that we have inherited mortality from our forefather Adam, then it is manifest that we have also inherited sin from the same source.

Otherwise, if infants have not sinned of their own volition, then why do they die?

Why are infants baptized if not for the remission of sins?

The doctrine of "original sin" is a fundamental Orthodox teaching. To deny this doctrine is to depart from the Catholic Faith.

Cyprian

jckstraw72
Jurisdiction: OCA

Post by jckstraw72 »

we receive a fallen nature, not the guilt of Adam.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

The fallen nature we receive is tainted or stained with original sin. To deny this is to deny the explicit teaching of the Church.

Surely you will agree with this. That is, unless you would like to explain to us why infants are baptized for the remission of sins, even though they have no sin themselves.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Cyprian wrote:

The fallen nature we receive is tainted or stained with original sin. To deny this is to deny the explicit teaching of the Church.

We have to understand what the original sin really means.

The holy fathers don't refer to original sin, but to Adam and Eve's transgression which led to our mortality because of their disobedience to God(by not wanting to repent), they fell from the Grace that God established for them. This is the Orthodox teaching. The papist teaching is that we are guilty for the acts of Adam and Eve; they coin the phrase, original sin. Now, would God be so irrational as that? Would you or I be treated as criminals just because our great, great, great grandfather was a horse thief? Our courts of law of men would not condemn us for an act that an ancestor committed, then why should God act so irrationally?

Adam and Eve passed that down to the next generation and so on; by death. It's the same idea as introducing a foreign substance into our bodies which will be passed down to the next generations. We took that substance for whatever irrational reason and now our families pay the price too.

Surely you will agree with this. That is, unless you would like to explain to us why infants are baptized for the remission of sins, even though they have no sin themselves.

They are baptised so that they will gain the fulfillment of the Holy Spirit that was taken away because of Adam and Eve's transgression. Infants are born with mortality and therefore should be given the full protection of Christ from the beginning. Because this is the release of the bond of death which happens to those who are not united to Christ in baptism.

And the remission of sins comes when they start going to confession. But, they can't go to confession unless they are baptised...therefore, baptism becomes the goal of the remission of sins...when they grow up; not because they have sins; how can they if they are only babies?

The Papists teachings are certainly persistent but we should turn to the holy fathers for the spiritual answers.

In Christ, Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)