Why did Archbishop Andrew of ROAC leave the GOC-S?

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Why did Archbishop Andrew of ROAC leave the GOC-S?

Post by Justice »

If one does an evaluation there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the GOC-S. That being said, why would Archbishop Andrew leave a perfectly Orthodox synod? Archbishop Andrew was consecrated as an Archbishop for ROAC in 2007 correct? So he must have been involved with the GOC (then under Archbishop Andreas) in the late 90s.

d9popov

Re: Why did Archbishop Andrew of ROAC leave the GOC-S?

Post by d9popov »

The Matthewite synod of Archbishop Andreas Anestes of Athens repudiated the ROCOR synod of Metropolitan Philaret Voznesensky of New York in the late 1970s. The ROAC derives from the ROCOR of Metropolitan Philaret and Bishop Gregory Grabbe. I am not aware of Archbishop Andrew Maklakov of ROAC ever having any communion with any Matthewite bishop at any time.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I think he thought the GOC-S was too 'extreme' in its ecclesiology. Something along this line. He did go under then-Bishop ? Anthony [Gavalas] for some years until getting disenchanted. What years those were, I am not sure.

It's an excellent question, Justice

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I think he thought the GOC-S was too 'extreme' in its ecclesiology. Something along this line. He did go under then-Bishop ? Anthony [Gavalas] for some years until getting disenchanted. What years those were, I am not sure.

No, this is not an excellent question.

Wasn't this Andrew dismissed from the clerical ranks due to impropriety? The smoke screen that the GOC under Archbishop Stephanos was too strict is just that. It was a nasty smoke screen to hide something nefarious.

Is this the same [priest] Andrew who served under the saintly Metropolitan Anthony [Gavalas]? If so, this Andrew left the GOC in a schismatic action while he was experiencing a nasty divorce and was accused of something terrible by his Presbytera. Her pleas went ignored, and he was consecrated as a 'divorced' bishop in his newly found TOC synod. Only many years later was this charge of sexual impropriety thoroughly investigated while he was still a sitting bishop. Then he was removed from the ranks of bishop and defrocked. Although dismissed, he schismed again while continuing to deny the charges as false.

Note: the GOC under Archbishop Stephanos takes any charge of sexual impropriety very seriously, in that sense, they apply very strictly the advice of St. Paul who admonished all to flee from sexual immorality. This is the true reason why Andrew left Met. Anthony.

Note: I do not want this thread to turn into a gossip rag, and I will lock this thread if it does, but without going into all the gory details that are not necessary for our own individual salvation, one should avoid this Andrew like the plague.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Wasn't this Andrew dismissed from the clerical ranks due to impropriety? The smoke screen that the GOC under Archbishop Stephanos was too strict is just that. It was a nasty smoke screen to hide something nefarious.

Is this the same [priest] Andrew who served under the saintly Metropolitan Anthony [Gavalas]? If so, this Andrew left the GOC in a schismatic action while he was experiencing a nasty divorce and was accused of something terrible by his Presbytera. Her pleas went ignored, and he was consecrated as a 'divorced' bishop in his newly found TOC synod. Only many years later was this charge of sexual impropriety thoroughly investigated while he was still a sitting bishop. Then he was removed from the ranks of bishop and defrocked. Although dismissed, he schismed again while continuing to deny the charges as false.

Note: the GOC under Archbishop Stephanos takes any charge of sexual impropriety very seriously, in that sense, they apply very strictly the advice of St. Paul who admonished all to flee from sexual immorality. This is the true reason why Andrew left Met. Anthony.

Note: I do not want this thread to turn into a gossip rag, and I will lock this thread if it does, but without going into all the gory details that are not necessary for our own individual salvation, one should avoid this Andrew like the plague.

So you would be against anyone attending Archbishop Andrew of Rockland’s parish?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Maria wrote:
Barbara wrote:

So you would be against anyone attending Archbishop Andrew of Rockland’s parish?

I would certainly not recommend being under his spiritual direction as he has schismed twice.
Where would he lead you? He is not a good example of a shepherd.
Not only is schism a very serious sin, but also the charges of sexual immorality that were brought against him were horrid.
And you must ask: why has he repeatedly run away? This shows no sign of repentance.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Last edited by Justice on Sun 8 July 2018 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.