Old Believers and Old Calendarists

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Old Believers and Old Calendarists

Post by Maria »

d9popov wrote:

Does the red really indicate the great schema, or was it copied from Roman Catholic Cardinals and bishops that the old believers saw in the Austro-Hungarian empire? The garb of some Serbian and Romanian bishops appears to borrow the red from the RCs. Some of those bishops were under the political control of the Austro-Hungarians.

Good question. Remember that Jesuits taught in Russian seminaries for hundreds of years. They taught philosophy and theology teaching scholasticism and ecumenism to the Russian seminarians and future Orthodox priests. No doubt, those Jesuit monsignors who wore red piping on their priestly dress greatly influenced the East. Notice that the fitted and properly tailored Russian priestly cassock highly resembles those cassocks worn by the Jesuits, but not the black flowing ryassas worn by the Greek Fathers and monastics.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That's interesting speculation about the use of the color red. It just doesn't work in these cases, I think.
Perhaps the reason is because the color scheme was imported, not native to Orthodox societies. It always strikes a discordant note in me.

About Maria's valuable observation about the ryassa being taken after the Islamic women's dress style : the fact is that nuns not attired in their klobouks but wearing only the thin black fabric covering their heads appear exactly as copies of the chador or abaya worn by women in Iran and Iraq - up to this day.

Just saw the new comment by Maria. One can tell you are skilled at sewing for you gave the precise term: Piping. I was trying to think how to describe it.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

That's interesting speculation about the use of the color red. It just doesn't work in these cases, I think.
Perhaps the reason is because the color scheme was imported, not native to Orthodox societies. It always strikes a discordant note in me.

I agree, isn't Orthodoxy supposed to be Christ's Church? It may be small, but it defiantly says something.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

Justice wrote:

Metropolitan Cornelius and others in his sect must have ecumenist views, as he and his synod have met with a World Orthodox hierarchs including Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow

This shows how hypocritical these Old Believer hierarchs are, they wish to keep the Old-Rite and have unity with the Russian World Orthodox Church yet they seem to be perfectly fine with having dialogue that leads to compromising instead of true unity, sums up the entire ecumenical movement

Not true at all. They have anathematized ecumenism. They believe that they can meet with others, but they cannot under any circumstances pray with them. Meeting someone does not equal ecumenism. This other group you have brought up (the two men in the first picture) is a group of bishops from the "Living Church" that became Old Believers when the "Living Church" was falling apart. They are much worse that Metropolitian Cornelius and his synod, and are not to be taken seriously. Edit: it's notable, by the way, that on their apologetics websites they have nicknamed Metropolitan Hilarion "Chief Ecumenist". They don't mind talking with him, but compromise is not a word in their vocabulary. It's telling that after a recent meeting with them Metropolitan Hilarion said that there is "no end in sight" to the Old Believer schism.

Last edited by NotChrysostomYet on Fri 6 October 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

d9popov wrote:

Does the red really indicate the great schema, or was it copied from Roman Catholic Cardinals and bishops that the old believers saw in the Austro-Hungarian empire? The garb of some Serbian and Romanian bishops appears to borrow the red from the RCs. Some of those bishops were under the political control of the Austro-Hungarians.

Yes, it really does indicate the Great Schema. The Old Believers would be the last group to try and attempt to copy the Roman Catholics on anything. :P

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

This is relatively of topic, but I do like that the Old Believers are keeping their clothing traditional, the boys should wear polo shirts or vests and the women should wear long traditional skirts. I hope these customs have a revival in the Traditional Orthodox Church.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

This is relatively of topic, but I do like that the Old Believers are keeping their clothing traditional, the boys should wear polo shirts or vests and the women should wear long traditional skirts. I hope these customs have a revival in the Traditional Orthodox Church.

Quite a few ladies in the Genuine Traditional Orthodox Churches do wear long skirts, and when their bishop comes, they wear the traditional dress of their country. Russian men and boys (or converts) often wear the long sleeved traditional Russian shirts and vests to greet their bishop.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.