Concerning Pokrov.org

Protopriest Dionysi
Jr Member

Post by Protopriest Dionysi »

Br. Nicholas wrote:

OK, I've finally got a handle on who and what Fr. Dionysi is. I am so slow on the uptake sometimes. I seem to recall meeting him when he was attending church at All Sainst of NA in Middlebrook, VA. He was then, if memory serves fresh out of the LDS, though I might possibly be confusing him with someone else in that regard. Shortly after our meeting I left to go in puruit of my monastic vocation. It seems that he also left after that. Anyway, I don't see any need for me to swing by his place - thanks for the invite though.

I do not remember meeting you, and was not convert from the LDS (At that time), but the Uniates. I was Melkite who converted. However, I was born in Utah, and did convert from the LDS (Mormon) church. Where might this monastery in the Valley be?

Brother Nicholas

Post by Brother Nicholas »

Hi! First off, the monastery I went to is not in the Valley but in North Georgia. After all these years in front of a computer I still keep having to remember to make things clear when I write. Sorry for the confusion.

Second, I'm not surprised if I don't click for you right away. I was at All Saints in Middlebeook for only about three months or so before I left. Perhaps a description might help. I was very heavy set, with a beard a somewhat longish hair, and walked with a cane. We used to sit in Fr. John's living room occassionally, you and I, during the trapeza and talk before having to vacate for the catachumen classes. As I recall, you were blessed with a rather large family.

BTW - a monastery in the Valley does sound good doesn't it? Perfect area for it. I'd love it if one got off the ground there. I'm a big supporter of monasticism and believe that it is crucial to the survival and growth of Orthodoxy in America - especially in America.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Well you've known one another? that's a good reason in itself!

Br. Nicholas wrote:

I was at All Saints in Middlebeook for only about three months or so before I left.

Why'd you move right before entering the monastery Br. Nicholas?

Brother Nicholas

Julianna wrote:

Why'd you move right before entering the monastery Br. Nicholas?

I'm not certain I understand your question. I was, at the time, in Virginia. The monastery was in North Georgia. How could I go there without moving? Or, am I, yet again, not making myself clear somehow? (The likely scenario)

Julianna

It's all my fault I'm sure.

Post by Julianna »

You'd said you're in that Virginia church for 3 months before you'd left to become a monk. Why'd you move to Virginia for 3 months if you're going to move to become a monk anyways?

Brother Nicholas

I didn't move to Virginia. I was already living there. I had only attended that particular church for three months before leaving for the monastery. Circumstances brought me to the Shenandoah Valley where I was amazed to find a ROCOR mission church eventually and thus attended there before leaving for GA.