Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Long Skirts (ankle length) vs. Short Skirts

Post by Barbara »

Thank you for trying to find that link, Stephen. You may come across it later somewhere.

That's too much about Aegina ! Those tacky people. Even Kate Middleton, setting a disastrous example by proclaiming her innocence
that she was just doing what any other woman in the world would do. Hardly !!

The Catholic royal families don't do that type of thing. They are much more refined and conservative.
If an Orthodox one were on the throne in Russia, members of it would never need to be told to 'wear clothes" into a Church - !!
It's pitiful how low many Europeans have sunk. And Americans, obviously, too.

I guess Mykonos became a gaytravelersfromAmerica island
some many years ago. That was the rumor, anyway. When I was there, I thankfully didn't see any, but it was a few-hour visit only.
Have you any idea whether Mykonos has become even worse now ? I haven't kept up because I am involved in the tourism industry
anymore.

I am trying to think what "Lycra shorts" ARE.

StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

Post by StephenS »

I spent a lot of time on Tinos, and rented a house there for a time but never visited Mykonos. It's quite literally next door to Tinos. But not somewhere I would visit given it's reputation.

Lycra pants are, I my mind at least, associated with racing cyclists. An ultra clinging body hugging abomination, of which - you guessed it - this contributor is none too keen.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

StephenS wrote:

Sorry, have looked hard but cannot find a link to the article showing proposed dress for women in Russian Federation.

Men too must dress modestly, I wear a jacket even in sub-tropical and tropical climates. In Aegina I found one church with a notice on the door in four languages asking visitors to wear clothes on entering. When I enquired why they put up such an unusual notice only to be told some Northern European visitors thought nought of walked in stark narked! My pet horror is men in Lycra shorts. Short sleeves and shorts too are a no-no in church it was drummed into me.

Yes, in my church, all the men and women wear long sleeved shirts even in the hot summer where the weather can be 120 degrees. However, wearing cotton shirts made of lawn are cool even in the heat. The few short-sleeved cotton shirts I have are always worn underneath a long-sleeved cotton or linen shirt. I refuse to buy polyester garments.

My priest recently told me that almost all priestly garments are made of plastic (polyester), unless one is willing to pay a couple of thousand for cotton, linen, or silk vestments. [(Onion Dome style): What did priests wear in 18th Century Holy Russia? Is outrage!]

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

Post by StephenS »

I have come across clerical dress which is very suited to sub-tropical climates, but the cost is higher. I note that suitably dressed you may be more comfortable than if skimpily dressed. Again when in tropical or sub-tropical climates walking in the shade, avoiding being out and about in the early afternoon and always carrying potable water.

Lose, light natural fibres allow you to perspire freely. Something the Arabs learnt long ago.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

StephenS wrote:

... Again when in tropical or sub-tropical climates walking in the shade, avoiding being out and about in the early afternoon and always carrying potable water.

Lose, light natural fibres allow you to perspire freely. Something the Arabs learnt long ago.

And that is why in the sub-tropical, tropical, and equatorial regions, people take a nice long siesta from 12 noon until two or three o'clock in the afternoon.

Mosquitoes adapted to that change and bite when people are active in the cool mornings, late afternoons and evening hours. That is also why it is important to wear clothing that covers the arms and legs. Not only it is modest, but also wearing such clothing can be a protection against West Nile Virus, malaria, and other mosquito-borne diseases.

Something else:

Research has shown that thiamine (B1) helps lower blood sugar, which apparently attracts mosquitoes in addition to our body heat. Whenever I went camping as a child, my mom hesitated to serve sweets as ingesting sugary treats seemed to attract more mosquitoes and their bites. During the early summer to fall months, when mosquitoes are more active, I usually increase my intake of B1 which helps to prevent mosquito bites. Now that I am avoiding sugar, I have not gotten any bites even though I am not taking extra B1 supplements.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh my gosh ! Polyester is plastic ? And to wear as vestments ??

Silk would be by far the best. Cotton second choice.

You know, we don't even realize probably what makes up many items these days.
Not to sidetrack but I was looking at pet beds [!] at Petco. I saw one that didn't look that great but the selection was slender,
so I read the label. It proclaimed : "Made of 100 % RECYCLED PLASTIC" - advertising itself as "green".

I recoiled.
Who would subject a pet to RECYCLED PLASTIC !
Chemicals ooze out of plastic by the gallon, I suspect. There is no proof probably, but why would scientists be testing for that
when the whole push is to get the public using these supposedly environmentally friendly substances ?
I guess EP-Bartholomew would approve, but it seems dreadful to have a pet sleep in something toxic !

I am working hard to eliminate as much plastic as I can around the kitchen especially, switching to glass jars and containers.

Maria, it's good you are avoiding sugar. It's deadly.
I haven't had any knowledge of these mosquito problems until your posts. Eww, terrible.

Stephen, you are right. In hot climates, including Palestine, the garments we see whether in Biblical times or up to nearly the present,
are always full length, graceful robes. Western jeans & much else should be banned !

I get it now about the Lycra shorts - too gross to even contemplate for one minute !
One wonders what cave the wearers crawled out of ?!!
Who would appear anywhere dressed like that ? As if someone couldn't ride a bike in normal clothes.
I think such people, including similarly attired joggers, are trying so much to be noticed that they reveal
the gigantic vacuum inside. There's nothing at all present. If one were to operate on them spiritually, there would appear
no soul. Just a grey void of emptiness.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Oh my gosh ! Polyester is plastic ? And to wear as vestments ??

Silk would be by far the best. Cotton second choice.

You know, we don't even realize probably what makes up many items these days.
Not to sidetrack but I was looking at pet beds [!] at Petco. I saw one that didn't look that great but the selection was slender,
so I read the label. It proclaimed : "Made of 100 % RECYCLED PLASTIC" - advertising itself as "green".

I recoiled.
Who would subject a pet to RECYCLED PLASTIC !
Chemicals ooze out of plastic by the gallon, I suspect. There is no proof probably, but why would scientists be testing for that
when the whole push is to get the public using these supposedly environmentally friendly substances ?
I guess EP-Bartholomew would approve, but it seems dreadful to have a pet sleep in something toxic !

I am working hard to eliminate as much plastic as I can around the kitchen especially, switching to glass jars and containers.

Maria, it's good you are avoiding sugar. It's deadly.
I haven't had any knowledge of these mosquito problems until your posts. Eww, terrible.

Stephen, you are right. In hot climates, including Palestine, the garments we see whether in Biblical times or up to nearly the present,
are always full length, graceful robes. Western jeans & much else should be banned !

I get it now about the Lycra shorts - too gross to even contemplate for one minute !
One wonders what cave the wearers crawled out of ?!!
Who would appear anywhere dressed like that ? As if someone couldn't ride a bike in normal clothes.
I think such people, including similarly attired joggers, are trying so much to be noticed that they reveal
the gigantic vacuum inside. There's nothing at all present. If one were to operate on them spiritually, there would appear
no soul. Just a grey void of emptiness.

The thinking behind the use of Lycra (R) is that tight clothing helps to prevent wind drag whereas loose clothing would increase the time in sports. Also less is best. Carrying excess weight in body fat or clothing can cost a victory in a game or race. Hence, sports attire used in Olympic games is usually made of a blend using cotton-spandex, polyester-spandex, or Lycra (R). Sports is big business. I doubt that few devout Orthodox Christians are into the Olympics as it means missing the Divine Liturgy especially when sports events are held on a Sunday or a Feastday.