Matthewites and Chrysostomites

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Matthewites and Chrysostomites

Post by Justice »

Technically the term Old Calendarist is also demeaning as it was coined by the World Orthodox after the calendar schism. In my opinion, We should either call ourselves Genuine Orthodox Christians under Archbishop or Metropolitan "blank".

Last edited by Justice on Tue 27 February 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Bishop_Irineos wrote:
Justice wrote:

I'm happy to say that after reading Fr. Stephen Fraser's book, I agree with the "Matthewite" position. However I agree with Maria we shouldn't call each other by these demeaning labels.

Do you? So nobody else is Orthodox?

Fr Stephan's book pointed out all of the uncanonical consecrations done by Archbishop Auxentios. Because of this, it makes me question the apostolic succession of some of these synods. Now do I think they have a heretical theology regarding the New Calendarists? absolutely not! the synods that follow Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina no longer consider the New Calendarises to only be potentially schismatic.

I mean no disrespect to your or any other synod that follows Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina.

Last edited by Justice on Tue 27 February 2018 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Technically the term Old Calendarist is also demeaning as it was coined by the World Orthodox after the calendar schism.In my opinion, We should either call ourselves Genuine Orthodox Christians under Archbishop or Metropolitan "blank".

Good idea.

However, certain World Orthodox have labeled us as "The True Genuine Old Calendarist Orthodox Church in Resistance... ."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

Technically the term Old Calendarist is also demeaning as it was coined by the World Orthodox after the calendar schism.In my opinion, We should either call ourselves Genuine Orthodox Christians under Archbishop or Metropolitan "blank".

Good idea.

However, certain World Orthodox have labeled us the "True Genuine Old Calendarist Orthodox Church in Resistance."

That's quite the title. I'll stick to Genuine or True Orthodox church. :)

Last edited by Maria on Tue 27 February 2018 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: correcting tag (my original error)
Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Bishop_Irineos wrote:
Justice wrote:

I'm happy to say that after reading Fr. Stephen Fraser's book, I agree with the "Matthewite" position. However I agree with Maria we shouldn't call each other by these demeaning labels.

Do you? So nobody else is Orthodox?

Fr Stephan's book pointed out all of the uncanonical consecrations done by Archbishop Auxentios. Because of this, it makes me question the apostolic succession of some of these synods. Now do I think they have a heretical theology regarding the New Calendarists? absolutely not! the synods that follow Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina no longer consider the New Calendarises to only be potentially schismatic.

I mean no disrespect to your or any other synod that follows Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina.

The term "Chrysostomites" did not originate with Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina. Met. Chrysostomos of Florina refused to consecrate anyone as bishops including the future Archbishop Auxentios. Therefore, with Met. Chrysostomos' death, his synod died too. In fact, with the Florinites left without a bishop or synod, Auxentios had to go to the ROCOR in secret and beg to be consecrated. Only after the fact did Met. Philaret of New York and his synod issue a protocol to rectify the secret and illicit consecration of Auxentios in order to give validity to his new synod.

Incidentally, the future Archbishop Auxentios (defrocked Hieromonk Akakios) had left the Synod of St. Matthew in schism after the saintly Archbishop Matthew had refused to consecrate him. Even the laity and the priests of the GOC did not want Auxentios to be consecrated as a bishop. They could see trouble written across his face.

If I am not mistaken, the younger Archbishop Chrysostomos (not of Florina) was consecrated a bishop either by Auxentios or by one of the many bishops whom Auxentios had consecrated. It is a sordid history of repeated schisms and pay for consecration deals, which eventually lead to the ouster of Archbishop Auxentios. Interestingly, those synods who schismed from Auxentios in turn received many of their priests who sought consecration after being defrocked from the GOC founded by St. Matthew. One schism led to another.

This younger Archbishop Chrysostomos, before his death, was the Archbishop of Athens prior to the election of Archbishop Kallistos, who currently leads the Synod. And this is why the names Chrysostomites and Kallinikites are interchangeable.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Archbishop by his actions sounded like a shady character. Fr Stephan correctly says that he refused to accept the GOC/ROCOR union because St. Matthew and the ROCOR refused to consecrate him. Not to mention all of the false rumors he spread about the reconsecration of the GOC bishops.

Last edited by Justice on Tue 27 February 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.