Directory of American Churches, Monasteries and Convents

Moderators: Mark Templet, Mark Templet

Seraphim Reeves

Slander?

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

"ROAC is the creation of former ROCOR bishop Valentine of Suzdal, who's been convicted of molesting young men in Russia. He has with him as co-bishops the former ROCOR hieromonk Anthony Grabbe, who stole millions of dollars from our mission in Jerusalem before being defrocked and who participated in the events which ended in Met. Vitaly living in Montreal, and the former ROCOR hieromonk Gregory Abu-Asali a jurisdiction-hopper."

From what I've read on the subject, this sounds like hearsay/slander. What is a fact, is that the MP uses thugs and the secular (former Soviet) government officials to actively persecute the ROAC; what is a fact is that ROAC has had Churches burned down, etc., etc.

It seems to me that the one thing always missing from these sort of anti-ROAC attacks, is an apologetic - detailing precisely why they are mistaken. It seems like the detractions come easier to these folks than actually having to say why their doctrinal positions are mistaken.

Seraphim

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Here's the really sad thing. Vladika Metropolitan Valentine's been told many times if he'll just switch to the MP all the charges'll be dropped and he'll be a celebrated Metropolitan of the (e)MP(ty). Obviously this is not about justice but control of the Soviet Patriarchate! :x

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I am inclined to agree Seraphim and Julianna

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Seraphim,

Knowing the source of the quote (though I can't say who), I can say with some assurance that it was not meant as a slanderous comment. One could say that few slanders (if any) are meant to be such, but what I mean by that is that the person who Methodius was quoting is an Orthodox person, and not someone who looks to attack people unnecessarily. The person in question does get quite a bit of slander/misrepresentation thrown in his/her direction, though, so they are perhaps a bit more vocal about their views.

It was my understanding that Bp. Valentine wasn't just accused, but was actually convicted: is this false? If it is true, when was he convicted?

Also, being able to prove charges in court is different than being personally assured of someone's criminal activity. Did ROCOR herself think that Grabbe had stolen money? Did they try to bring him before an ecclesiastical court? Did he leave before they were able to (as has happened before when ROCOR tried to examine a situation)?

I ask these questions as someone seeking answers, not as someone with an axe to grind.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Vladika Met. Valentin asked for a trial so he'd be able to prove these lies false. The 2 boys the MP gotta lie admitted to being told whatta say by the MP and said the accusations weren't true. The only witness that took the stand against Vladika's the MP priest that left ROAC to join the MP. The same priest telling his flock to burn our churches and monasteries and homes for the invalids. Met. Valentin was convicted with no evidence but he isn't being given a prison sentence. Justice in Russia isn't like America. Even though Vladika hadn't any punishment of prison time he's appealing it to clear his name. As someone's said he's been told over and over if he'll just return to the MP all charges'll be dropped.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I'm curious as to what type of growth and/or missionary activity is going on in ROAC and the TOC? Also, what type of cultural or ethnic "feel" is there in these two Churches? Are they thoroughly Russian and Greek? Or are the Churches in America more... well, American (e.g., do they use English in most of the parishes)?

Arsenios
Jr Member

Post by Arsenios »

I would think that they would be thoroughly Greek and Russian but then what do I know that is only based on my experience which is not much.