Parochial Schools: Governmental Aid Leads to Control

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Parochial Schools: Governmental Aid Leads to Control

Post by NadirGP »

Maria wrote:
NadirGP wrote:

Education

It is an historical fact that the Catholic Church always had (and still has even if in a lesser degree today) the education of her younger generation at heart. Therefore, Catholic Church schools developed in every country of the world. Nowadays, the states & governments’ money subsidizes most of these Catholic schools.

My question now: Does the Orthodox Church run Orthodox schools in the same way the Catholics do?

Historically, with the governments being Orthodox Christian, the Orthodox Church did not need to have its own schools.

Now, however, with anti-God secular humanism being the religion of almost all countries, with the exception of Islamic countries, there are more Orthodox Christian parochial schools or homeschools with Orthodox curriculums being established, especially here in the USA.

These Orthodox schools, are getting government’s funding?

But are these Orthodox schools subsidized, by the state & government? If in the positive, do these schools have to follow government guidelines imposed on them, such as sex education and some other humanistic curriculum?

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Education

Post by Maria »

NadirGP wrote:
Maria wrote:
NadirGP wrote:

Education

It is an historical fact that the Catholic Church always had (and still has even if in a lesser degree today) the education of her younger generation at heart. Therefore, Catholic Church schools developed in every country of the world. Nowadays, the states & governments’ money subsidizes most of these Catholic schools.

My question now: Does the Orthodox Church run Orthodox schools in the same way the Catholics do?

Historically, with the governments being Orthodox Christian, the Orthodox Church did not need to have its own schools.

Now, however, with anti-God secular humanism being the religion of almost all countries, with the exception of Islamic countries, there are more Orthodox Christian parochial schools or homeschools with Orthodox curriculums being established, especially here in the USA.

These Orthodox schools, are getting government’s funding?

But are these Orthodox schools subsidized, by the state & government? If in the positive, do these schools have to follow government guidelines imposed on them, such as sex education and some other humanistic curriculum?

Although these Orthodox Christian Schools (largely established by members of World Orthodoxy) in the USA are not getting governmental (state) funding, often educational laws do affect them to some extent. For example, these parochial schools cannot discriminate in hiring teachers who are homosexual or transgendered. In addition, if a high school wants to enable their students to attend college, the high schools must be accredited, and this accreditation process involves a rigorous inspection of the school's faculty, facilities, students, and curriculum by those who in charge of granting accreditation. These accreditation boards are often staffed with those who are secular humanists and anti-Christian. Thus these schools often make compromises which they should not.

By the way, there are many Catholic and Orthodox homeschoolers and the movement is growing steadily.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

Maria wrote:

These accreditation boards are often staffed with those who are secular humanists and anti-Christian. Thus these schools often make compromises which they should not.

By the way, there are many Catholic and Orthodox homeschoolers and the movement is growing steadily.

What I want to know is, by saying “these schools often make compromises”, do I have to surmise that the sex education is one of these compromises and has been introduced into the school’s curriculum?

Concerning homeschooling, this would be the topic of another post.
Nadir

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

NadirGP wrote:

Maria wrote:

These accreditation boards are often staffed with those who are secular humanists and anti-Christian. Thus these schools often make compromises which they should not.

What I want to know is, by saying “these schools often make compromises”, do I have to surmise that the sex education is one of these compromises and has been introduced into the school’s curriculum?

I do not know if these private schools teach sex education or not.

However, it is the hiring of teachers that concerns me. At one local Greek Orthodox school, which shall not be named, they have a Protestant who serves as principal. Furthermore, all their teachers must have obtained their California State teaching credentials. This is where the problem lies. When a man or woman takes the courses to earn their California credential, they must take diversity (sensitivity) training and other courses that would be in opposition to Orthodox Christian values.

Concerning homeschooling, this would be the topic of another post.
Nadir

Of course, I just mentioned this as an alternative.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I didn't know ANY of that info, thanks Maria.
It's really gotten way out of control.

Even a Greek Orthodox school having a Protestant principal ?? I think that's really bad.

And the rest of it, about the "imposed" questionable teachers = it's reprehensible.

I can see WHY home schooling is nearly the only option left.

Of course, now that I think of it, there are the 2 schools of Rocor-MP. I always forget which one
is for the younger and which is for the older students.
But I am sure that the students and teachers would all be Orthodox,and solidly so. Not borderline types.

If I were a parent, I would think that might be a good idea.

After all, we have no True Orthodox schools whatsoever. At least nothing "accredited".
After reading Maria's info, that word sounds like something to skip completely nowadays !

Maria
Archon

Re: Parochial Schools: Governmental Aid Leads to Control

Post by Maria »

These posts have been moved into politics, and the original title has been changed to reflect the link between governmental aid and control.