2013 Sunday of Orthodoxy Sermon by Metropolitan Moses

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

2013 Sunday of Orthodoxy Sermon by Metropolitan Moses

Post by Maria »

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 03/25/13 07:36 AM
Subject: Orthodoxy Sunday 2013

The Sunday of Orthodoxy

A Sermon of Metropolitan Moses of Toronto

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

We have completed the course of the first week of our spiritual journey of the struggle of the fast and we have arrived at the Sunday of Orthodoxy wherein we celebrate the triumph of the Holy Icons and all of the triumphs of Christian truth in opposition to all of the false teachings that have assaulted the Church. Today we celebrate the historical victories of the Church over heresy.

Out of love for man, He Who dwells in unapproachable light, Pre-eternal God the Word, bowed the heavens and came down and put on our flesh and stood in the midst of men and proclaimed Himself, The Way, The Truth and the Life. (John 14:6)

He told us that, “ ...the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such that so worship Him. God is Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:23-24)

He called us to the banquet of love and invited us to be united to Him through Holy Baptism and partake of His Flesh and Blood in the sacred Mystery of the Bread and Wine.

Yet, not all responded, as it is written, “He came unto His own, and His own received Him not.” (John 1:11)

He told men that, “To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth My voice.” (John 18:37)

And men replied with indifference, “What is truth?” (John 18:38)

Yet, to those who received Him and sought to follow the truth, He called them friends and declared that a man has no greater love that to lay His life down for His Friends. (John 15:13)

And before He was about to lay down His life, He prayed to His Heavenly Father and declared that His chosen people are united to Him and separated out from the world with the words:

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine. And all Mine are Thine, and Thine are Mine; and I am glorified in them. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. (John 17:9-10)

Brothers and sisters in Christ, we are called to be disciples as these men were called disciples. We are called to speak these things amongst ourselves. When has a husband told a wife or a wife told a husband that, 'we are not of the world, even as our Savior is not of the world and our marriage is something above the order of the things of this world. How often to parents tell their children that it is not wrong to be different because we are different, because we are not of the world, but rather we are of Christ.

And our Savior continued His prayer to the Father and said:

Sanctify them in Thy truth: Thy word is truth. As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified in the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe in Me through their word; That they all may be one; as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent Me. And the glory which Thou gavest Me I have given them; that they may be one, even as We are one. (John 17:16-22)

Beloved, we are sanctified when we abide in the truth. The Apostles' work was to preserve the truth and unite us to the truth through the Mysteries of Holy Baptism and the Eucharist.

At the fearful and world changing Mystical Supper, when our Savior first provided His disciples with what Saint Ignatius of Antioch later described as the “Antidote of death and the Medicine of Immortality,” our Savior spake the words we hear at every liturgy, “Drink ye all from it, this is the Blood of the New Testament.” (Matt 26:28, Mark 14:24)

Today, men have forgotten that the Divine Blood of the Lamb Who takes away the sins of the world is offered only by the New Testament priesthood. The witness of Holy Scripture and the teachings of the Apostles and Holy Fathers proclaim that the union of the priesthood's teaching, that is, the New Testament, and the Mystery of the Eucharist itself, is the source of our sanctification in the truth. Without the authentic word of truth given by our Savior to the Apostles and by the Apostles and their successors to us, there are no Mysteries and there is no union with the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

The word of truth is essential to our salvation. For this reason Saint Paul spoke to the elders of the Church in Ephesus upon his departure therefrom and warned them of future dangers from heresies:

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn everyone night and day with tears. (Acts 20:28-31)

Saint Ignatius of Antioch, who lived in the Apostolic age and was a disciple of Saint John the Theologian, also wrote of the temptation of heresy in his Epistle to the Trallians:

I exhort you therefore -- yet not I, but the love of Jesus Christ -- take ye only Christian food, and abstain from strange herbage, which is heresy: for these men do even mingle poison with Jesus Christ, imposing upon others by a show of honesty, like persons administering a deadly drug with honied wine, so that one who knoweth it not, fearing nothing, drinketh in death with a baneful delight. (Saint Ignatius' Epistle to the Trallians, Ch. 6:1-2)

From all of the above we have set before us the Cup of Truth and Immortality juxtaposed with the cup of heresy, which gives the appearance of sweet wine, yet it brings death.

On this day, the Sunday of Orthodoxy we read from the Synodicon of Orthodoxy and praise the Confessors of our Faith who guarded the Cup of Truth and Immortality. We also condemn teachers of heresies from the past who prepared a cup of death, declaring with an Anathema that they and the congregations who followed them are outside of the Church. This is not done out of mean-spiritedness, but it is done rather in order safeguard those who desire to remain partakers of the Cup of Life.
These commemorations are relevant and applicable to our time in this age of confusion and the multiplication of many heresies.

For example, on December 7, 1965, the Patriarch of Constantinople, Athenagoras Spyrou, “lifted” the anathemas imposed upon the various heresies of Papism in order to achieve a supposed “union” with the Catholic Church. It is impossible to lift an Anathema that the Church has decreed. Falsehood, cannot be declared truth by “Patriarchal decree.” The false teachings of the Filioque, created grace, Papal primacy and purgatory and the other errors of the Latins will never become truth. These teachings are repugnant to true Orthodox Christian Doctrine. They are 'deadly drugs mixed with honied wine,' to use the words of Saint Ignatius of Antioch. To not contradict these soul destroying teachings and proclaim them false is a dereliction of duty for any Orthodox clergyman, be he a Patriarch, priest or elder and it would be a cause for the destruction for unsuspecting souls.

The canonist Rev. Fr. Theodore T. Thalassinos, wrote just after the time of the so-called lifting of the anathema,“The removal of the mutual excommunications between the two Churches restores canonical relations between Rome and New Rome. This restoration is a canonical necessity, since there is no possible third situation between ecclesiastical communion and its negation: ecclesiastical excommunication” (Father Theodore T. Thalassinos, “The Goyan,” Winter 1968).
Many years later, in 1993, a Joint International Commission for the Theological Dialogue met in Balamand, Lebanon and crafted what is called by some “The Balamand Accord” which states:

...In fact, especially since the panorthodox Conferences and the Second Vatican Council, the re- discovery and the giving again of proper value to the Church as communion, both on the part of Orthodox and of Catholics, has radically altered perspectives and thus attitudes. On each side it is recognized that what Christ has entrusted to his Church - profession of apostolic faith, participation in the same sacraments, above all the one priesthood celebrating the one sacrifice of Christ, the apostolic succession of bishops - cannot be considered the exclusive property of one of our Churches...

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/ponti ... on_en.html

The local Churches who were officially represented at this union were, The Patriarchates of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, Romania and the Churches of Cyprus, Poland and Finland. Within these local Churches, the Cup of Life has been replaced with a “common cup” wherein a deadly drug has been mingled with honied wine. This is not the Cup of Truth and Immortality. As observed by the canonist above, the union has occurred. The participating local Churches are now part of a false union, similar to the False Council of Florence and Ferrara.

Recently, the present Patriarch of Constantinople attended the enthronement of the newly established Pope in Rome. This has not happened since the Schism of 1054. Things have radically changed. The present Patriarch, as is known to all, was educated in the Vatican. These men are truly Uniates.

We have to ask ourselves, how would the saints respond to these events? How would Saint Photios the Great or Saint Gregory Palamas or Saint Mark of Ephesus respond? After having rejected the False Union of Florence Saint Mark of Ephesus wrote in his “Confession of Faith” :

All the teachers of the Church, all the Councils, and all the Divine Scriptures, exhort us to flee those who uphold other doctrines and to separate from communion with them.
Confession of Faith, XII, 304
Saint Mark of Ephesus

There can be no such thing as a “common cup” between authentic Orthodox Christians and heretics. The secondary definition of the word “common” is a lack of showing good taste or refinement; something vulgar. The Cup of Life, the Cup of Truth is not something that is handed out to all. As our Savior said, it is only given to those who are sanctified in the Truth. There is a separation between the people of God and those who do not accept the teachings of the Church given unto us from the time of the Apostles.

From the early days of the Church to the latter days, the saints of the Church recognized the danger of heresy. Today we hear from false elders and teachers that communion with heresy is a matter of indifference. Some say, for example, that regardless of what the Patriarch of Constantinople believes or says or what his official policies are, everyone should remain in communion with him. We all revere the historical position of the institution of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and all of the other Patriarchates, but these ancient Sees have been hijacked and their thrones are not occupied by genuine Orthodox Christian hierarchs. The only saving response to all of this is to humbly follow in the footsteps of the Holy Fathers and struggle to maintain the purity of the Orthodox Faith by separating from them. The witness of Church History and the lives of the saints testify that there is no other way.

In conclusion I quote once again from the writings of Saint Ignatius of Antioch in his letter to Saint Polycarp of Smyrna.
Let not those who seem worthy of credit, but teach strange doctrines, fill thee with apprehension. Stand firm, as does an anvil which is beaten. It is the part of a noble athlete to be wounded, and yet to conquer. And especially, we ought to bear all things for the sake of God, that He also may bear with us. Be ever becoming more zealous than what thou art. Weigh carefully the times. Look for Him who is above all time, eternal and invisible, yet who became visible for our sakes; impalpable and impassible, yet who became passible on our account; and who in every kind of way suffered for our sakes.
--The Epistle of Saint Ignatius to Saint Polycarp Chapter 3

Let us pray on this day for those who those who have been lead astray and with meekness and fear be ready to proclaim the word of truth in the hope that we may be able to aid those who are confused and invite them to separate themselves out from the world so that they may be sanctified in the truth, according to our Savior's words and that they might partake of the Cup of Truth and Immortality with us.

May God bless and preserve you and your families in the Truth. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.