Long-suffering: Dealing with people and illness

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Long-suffering: Dealing with people and illness

Post by Maria »

It is better to offend men than God. God rejoices when he sees us running to meet dishonour, so as to crush, strike and destroy our vain self-esteem.
-- St. John Climacus

During this time of disinformation and political agendas, we may have to make the conscious choice to offend our boss by refusing to do something immoral and thus risk losing our job rather than offend God.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Long-suffering: Dealing with people and illness

Post by Matthew »

Indeed, very true. I in fact got fired once precisely for that. My employer, who was Jewish, and who ran a butcher shop told me to measure out the meat in front of the customer and print the price sticker, then when we turned our backs to them to slyly remove a little of the meat when we wrapped it up. He had the other two helpers doing that already. (it was my first week on the job). I told the boss to his face that it was stealing, and there was absolutely no way I was going to do things like that. The two helpers had looks on their faces that said it all, and they told me I would do well to do as I was told. The next day, (so it would not be obvious as to why because then it would be an obvious illegal dismissal which could get him in heaps of trouble) told me that I would be let go because he didnt think I could "Keep up" with the work there as it was "very busy". He was really friendly about it. Still it was obvious.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Yes, that happened to me.

Although I was told to lie, not steal.

I was working as a secretary, and the boss instructed me to lie when he was in the office and certain people wanted to talk with him on the phone. Instead of saying "Mr. X is not here," I said, "Mr. X is not available." I was fired at the end of two weeks, when people were normally terminated as the pay checks were issued that day.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

God save us and help us to find honest employment as the times get increasingly difficult economically.