Homily 54: On the Last Judgment (10th Sunday of St. Luke)

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Homily 54: On the Last Judgment (10th Sunday of St. Luke)

Post by Maria »

Homily 54 for the Tenth Sunday of St. Luke (before the Sunday of the Forefathers) is taken from

St. Gregory Palamas, The Homilies, Ed. and Trans. by Christopher Veniamin, Mount Thabor Publishing, 2009.

p. 451-452, paragraph 16:

.... No man clad in the bulky garment of vainglory and pride can go through the narrow gate, nor anyone laden with the burden of greed or love of possessions, nor anyone made dissolute by pleasure and self-indulgence. That is why jesting and wit are not appropriate for Christians, because they bring dissipation to the soul. Nor is foolish chatter, as it is a sign of pride; nor foul speech, because it provides fuel and encouragement for fornication. "But rather", as Paul goes on to say, "giving of thanks" (Eph. 5:4).

p. 452, paragraph 17:

The statement that filthiness and jocularity are not fitting for saints, whereas thanksgiving is, may seen inconsequent. In fact, however, the words follow a very logical order. Since here he is calling saints those hallowed through the grace of baptism in Christ, the precise meaning of what he is telling us is this. As we have freely received such great grace, it does not befit us to occupy ourselves with anything other than thanking Him who bestowed this magnificent gift, and who not only provided it but gave it as the pledge of our eternal inheritance (cf. Eph. 1:13-14), if, that is, we hold firm this pledge to the end through good works.

As we have learned, the greatest way of giving thanks to the Lord is by participating in the Divine Liturgy and receiving Holy Communion (Greek: Eucharista which means thanksgiving). Giving thanks and praise to God is the highest form of worship that we creatures can offer our Creator and God. And St. Gregory Palamas is correct. If our minds are filled with the cares of this world and with dissipation, then we do not render God proper thanksgiving for all His gifts to us.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Homily 54: On the Last Judgment (10th Sunday of St. Luke

Post by Matthew »

Excellent post, Maria!

Thank you.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes very good.

I personally have ALWAYS believed that American "comedians" and such lowlifes - no matter how
supposedly decent the jokes are, they are totally tasteless and revolting to me ! -
fit right into this scenario.

Looking at them or listening to even a single 'joke' leads one down the slippery slope to
demon-land !

I don't know where this stuff came from, but it's a very stupid "entertainment" at the very minimum.

I have not seen this style in other countries, which used to have marvelous storytellers telling
healthy tales of the past or great deeds, to instil VIRTUE in the listeners.
Or at minimum, to give a sense of history [even convoluted but fun].

Think of the difference sitting around a quaint cafe and drinking jasmine tea while listening to
a person recount interesting tales, versus sitting behind a tv or at some kind of gathering listening
to idiots blabbing away sheer nothing for the brain or for the heart or the soul !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Yes very good.

I personally have ALWAYS believed that American "comedians" and such lowlifes - no matter how
supposedly decent the jokes are, they are totally tasteless and revolting to me ! -
fit right into this scenario.

Looking at them or listening to even a single 'joke' leads one down the slippery slope to
demon-land !

I don't know where this stuff came from, but it's a very stupid "entertainment" at the very minimum.

I have not seen this style in other countries, which used to have marvelous storytellers telling

Think of the difference sitting around a quaint cafe and drinking jasmine tea while listening to
a person recount interesting tales, versus sitting behind a tv or at some kind of gathering listening
to idiots blabbing away sheer nothing for the brain or for the heart or the soul !

In Europe, people would enact moral scenes to teach the truths and virtues of the Christian faith.
I agree with you, Barbara, the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with David Letterman are not good for the soul. Neither is most of the TV fare to which we are exposed. Even the news media anchors spice their evening news with unedifying jokes and news clips. For this reason, many True Orthodox Priests encourage their parishioners to give up TV viewing.

Movies today are a waste of our time. They insidiously take our minds off God and even encourage us to wish well to evil doers so that we root for the lawbreakers or those who break one or more of the Ten Commandments.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Barbara wrote:

...it's a very stupid "entertainment" at the very minimum.

Excellent point. Our modern media and entertainment is so devoid of value, in a cost-benefit analysis, it comes up in the minuses. It destroys souls, wastes precious time, makes us laugh when we should be crying.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

In Europe, people would enact moral scenes to teach the truths and virtues of the Christian faith.
I agree with you, Barbara, the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with David Letterman are not good for the soul. Neither is most of the TV fare to which we are exposed. Even the news media anchors spice their evening news with unedifying jokes and news clips. For this reason, many True Orthodox Priests encourage their parishioners to give up TV viewing.

Movies today are a waste of our time. They insidiously take our minds off God and even encourage us to wish well to evil doers so that we root for the lawbreakers or those who break one or more of the Ten Commandments.

Yes, this is correct, I think, Maria. We need to get rid of TV and movies. I don't know of any Holy Fathers who achieved greatness in the life of prayer who spent time watching TV or movies. That alone should speak volumes to us. The important thing to maintain in cutting out anything like worldly entertainment is that we should remove it for greater love of God, not for the pharisaical reasons of outward piety and pride. The Holy Fathers and Mothers were like that. Their love for God was a consuming fire, devouring anything that got in the way of drawing nearer to their beloved Christ.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Why yes.

I am glad to hear this is a fairly typical approach across ALL the TOC jurisdictions.
There is NO MOVIE that is worth even a second - literally - of one's time made here in the US.

I can think of one movie about the perils of Communism which was incredibly well done.
But then they had to have a gross scene with .... well not important to poison anyone's mind to even mention!

Otherwise, it was very good.

Beyond that, and beyond the Russian made movie, "Ostrov" I can't think of anything in recent few decades
which wasn't vulgar and REVOLTING !

Even older Hollywood movies are mostly a waste of time.

What I hate is when all people talking - say on secular forums - say "It was just like in "XYZ !".
They never need to identify that as a film. EVERYONE immediately
laughs or chimes in "Oh Yes ! I remember that movie. Great analogy, ha ha hee hee ".

I say to myself incredulously : "What? Why would you compare a REAL LIFE situation to a MOVIE ??"
It shows how totally off the deep end this society jumped that the average person can relate ONLY to MOVIES>
or movie actors.

People never say the name of the CHARACTER, but they use the name of the actor to reference a movie scene.
I assume it's because the actors and actresses are so worshipped by the public that it's assumed that EVERYONE
will be paying attention to the ACTRESS, not the person she played. This is especially stupid when it's
an historical film.

Instead of "Anne Boleyn", they will say the name of the actress who played this bad woman...