Man in near death calls on God, who comes?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
apasarar

Man in near death calls on God, who comes?

Post by apasarar »

They did not ask about best religion and denomination through prayer to God, otherwise they would have arrived at Eastern orthodoxy

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Man in near death calls on God, who comes?

Post by Maria »

Those of us who have found the True Faith are blessed.

We must pray for those who have not found Holy Orthodoxy that Christ may grant them great mercy and save them.

This reminds me of the words of St. Seraphim of Sarov that we should strive to acquire the Holy Spirit as many around us will then be saved. If we do not radiate Christ's love and joy, then who will find Christ?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

If there is no declaration of repentance, then it is not by God. Satan can also produce "miracles". But, what is important to understand is that the soul of a person, who accepts the true God, recognizes his need to repent. The Protestants exemplify these "miracles" as the sign of Christ. That is not the sign. The sign is humility which leads to repentance. Lets not be fooled by the evil one's tactics through the Protestants, but let's pray for them to come to the full truth.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, there is a spate of these kinds of videos online now paraded as proofs that "God is with the church or religion of the Protestants". This is entirely false. Indeed there is a general mercy of God towards the people of the world where He strives to bring them closer to himself. But as Joanna says, the real fruit of the Holy Spirit's Work is humility and repentance and according to the Fathers, without obedience to the True Faith of the One True Church, there can be no genuine humility among the protestants or any other confession. There will be always the mixture of pride in there somewhere. I believe these videos are the work of the devil in some measure since they lull to sleep these heretics who take these things as a sign that they have the True saving Faith. It is not enough that muslims become protestants, or that atheists who deny any afterlife become come convinced that there is in fact some "hereafter." This is not enough. Perhaps, with the Help of God it can be a stepping stone or a prepatory work in their hearts leading eventually to the True Church. That is entirely possible. However it is essential that they not stop on their journey where they are. Otherwise it will prove of little benefit or consolation to them in the end.

Symeon

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

However it is essential that they not stop on their journey where they are. Otherwise it will prove of little benefit or consolation to them in the end.

Yes. Like coming to a banquet, seeing the food and believing that they have eaten.

The same applies to us. We cannot be satisfied that we live Orthodox Christian lives because we go to Church, fast, pray etc. But, we see what we need to do in our lives from the explanations of the holy fathers and their examples. We must never be satisfied that we are in a "good" standing with God. There is always more to improve on. There is the goal of theosis. Even the saints felt that they still weren't doing enough although they were living in constant communion with the Holy Trinity. St. Gregory of Nyssa called it Glory to Glory. There is never the final level to be reached. It is an eternal ascension of the soul because God can never be reached in His infinity.

I hope I expressed that correctly.

And forgive me for being a broken record, but once this is understood, I feel that this is what starts us on the path of humility because we realize how much there is to work on.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

No need to apologise for repeating this point, Joanna. Yes, indeed, repetition is a good thing. That is why we repeat Lord Have Mercy 40 times, and many other prayers and such things are repeated three times. We are of a nature where repetitions is very beneficial and necessary to ensure that the truth penetrates and cures the ills of our thinking and of our souls.

Symeon

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

I have to add something to my first reply. I feel I was harsh. God guides people through many experiences. It's a learning process. Many turn from Christianity to non-Christian religions, but I've heard many stories of them finding Orthodoxy. Fr. Seraphim Rose is a great example. Also, many Protestants have found Orthodoxy despite their limited theological understandings.

So, I will say that this man has every chance of coming to the true faith in time.

I have great doubts that Jesus Christ visited him. He rarely visits the holy saints. So perhaps it was an angel of God, but this man wants to interpret it as Jesus Christ Himself. Or it could be a deception. Only time will tell who the source is.

Also, I would like to mention, that near death experiences are not death experiences. There is a great difference because a true death experience means you don't come back. But, in this man's case, he didn't even die.

So there are a lot of questions, but if this man is sincere about his faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, then that is better than what he believed before.