Prayers please

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Prayers please

Post by Maria »

Please pray for me.

On Tuesday night, May 29, 2012, I was apparently bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, most likely the desert variety.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

searn77
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Re: Prayers please

Post by searn77 »

Lord have mercy!

Troparion of St. Philaret of New York
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Thank you.

I am doing much better. Still a little nauseated and need extra rest, but I am alive and able to repent.

Glory to Jesus Christ. Glory to Him Forever.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Did you put holy oil or water on the bite? Or you can use a Cross.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:

Did you put holy oil or water on the bite? Or you can use a Cross.

Thanks for the reminder. I was praying, and I thought of getting the holy oil, but I did not want to put it on while I was soaking my foot in a basin of hot Epsom Salt. Hopefully, there will not be a next time (repeat spider bite), but if there is, I will remember to use a Cross.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Hi Maria,

I don't know if you have looked at natural remedies, but I believe that they are better than what doctors prescribe. Basically, most doctors are pessimists. I think it is because they have no knowledge of nature's healing abilities which God gave us. I did a quick search and found this response. Have you searched the net? From what I've read, this is a nasty bite. I didn't realize how nasty it is. So has your swelling gone down?

http://voices.yahoo.com/natural-remedie ... 84239.html

But, for added measure so that it doesn't get worse, have your priest bless it with holy oil or holy water or the Holy Cross.

In Christ,
Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:

Hi Maria,

I don't know if you have looked at natural remedies, but I believe that they are better than what doctors prescribe. Basically, most doctors are pessimists. I think it is because they have no knowledge of nature's healing abilities which God gave us. I did a quick search and found this response. Have you searched the net? From what I've read, this is a nasty bite. I didn't realize how nasty it is. So has your swelling gone down?

http://voices.yahoo.com/natural-remedie ... 84239.html

But, for added measure so that it doesn't get worse, have your priest bless it with holy oil or holy water or the Holy Cross.

In Christ,
Joanna

I have heard that when a Brown/Desert Recluse spider bites, that it itches. And most people ignore an itch until it is too late. This spider venom is necrotic, so it destroys the tissue.

I was fortunate. As soon as I felt an itch on my foot, I looked down and checked it out. I was wearing sandals. I did not see the spider, but recognized the symptoms. My toe was swelling and was black and red, with a black streak traveling up my toe to the base of my foot, which was red.

Immediately, my husband got a pan of hot water to which he had added Epsom Salts. I had read in the New England Journal of Medicine that Brown/Desert Recluse venom and Jellyfish venom are both heat-sensitive. So first aid suggests the application of heat or electricity to denature the venom protein.

Continuous applications of hot Epsom Salt water not only reduced the swelling, but also made the black streak disappear. The black streak turned red, and then disappeared. Two days later, my foot and toe were of normal size. Now, there is not a sign left of the bite.

I attribute my rapid healing to God's grace, to my husband's loving care, and the fact that the spider (most likely an adult) probably had just had a previous meal and thus had discharged much of her venom.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him Forever!

p.s. Had I gone to the hospital for emergency care, I would have probably had to sit in the waiting room for hours while more urgently sick people needed care, would not have received any first aid while waiting, and would have been subjected to surgery to remove the necrotic tissue and my toe, then repeat surgeries for skin graphs, antibiotics, morphine, and other drugs. The cost ... probably close to $50,000+
Compare that to the quick and painless Epsom Salt treatments at less than $5.00.