Demons

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

Demons

Post by stephendaniel »

Good morning,

Does anybody have any writings about the tactics of demons against the soul? I understand that the devil is our enemy and that he is always attacking us, but HOW does he do that? Through the mind? Through thoughts? I have read before in places that some thoughts are not our own but come from the devil. Is this true? Are there any patristic writings on this?

Thank you so much.

frphoti
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOC Kallinikos

Re: Demons

Post by frphoti »

Google this: St. John Chrysostom THREE HOMILIES CONCERNING THE POWER OF DEMONS
You should get a site that opens a PDF file with the three homilies.
There are lots and lots of writings out there about the subject, but most are in bits and pieces inside of other writings like the Philokalia and the Evergetinos.
Hope it helps.

Fr. Photios

Truly, if the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father is perfect, then that from the Son is superfluous.
St. Photios the Great

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: Demons

Post by joasia »

Get these books: excellent descriptions of our psychological state and spiritual battle by explaining how the demons attack our nous and how we should stand guard at the door of our hearts. HUMILITY is the key. These cover EVERYTHING that I see battling in me.

St. Theophan's the Recluse: The Path to Salvation - I feel that it has everything I need to know about my invisible battle. I had the actual book and feel that it has everything except how to bring up children.

http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books ... heofan.htm

St. Nicodemos edited Unseen Warefare. This is a must have. Be careful with his strict instructions on everyday life because he is talking about monasticism which we may not be able to follow to the letter, but the key to overcoming our spiritual struggles is, again, humility.

http://ortodox.felmer.org/documents/Uns ... arfare.pdf

Amazing books that you will read more than once. But, most important, read everything by the saints because they all address our spiritual battle.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)