Orthodox Stores

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

Orthodox Stores

Post by stephendaniel »

Good morning,

I have been trying to purchase items for an icon corner as well as personal study. I recently purchased icons from Holy Transfiguration Monastery, and a "Lives of the Saints" from Chrysostom Press through Eastern Christian Supply...

While I had few qualms purchasing from HTM, I'm a little concerned purchasing items from Chrysostom Press. They have many books that I would love to study ("The Explanation of the New Testament" by Blessed Theophylact), but on the bottom right-hand of the screen they link their "mother site", a church called St. John Chrysostom Orthodox Church in House Springs, Missouri. This church is under ROCOR, the ones who recently entered into communion with the Moscow Patriarchate ...

Do you see where I'm going with this? I am afraid that I am supporting the MP with my purchases, even though my intention is only to purchase these books. Eventually, that money has to be tithed, right? And I am concerned about the other stores as well. The Convent of St. Elizabeth sells many icons, but they are under the Synod in Resistance which some believe to be heretical. Regardless, because of the circumstances of that controversy, I am much more confortable purchasing from there than a World Orthodoxy-supported store.

I think one might comment, "Do you purchase from secular stores? Are you not supporting secularism?" and this might be an understandable argument - yet, to support that is to simply support one's business. To support the MP, or any church caught in World Orthodoxy, seems to be to support heresy. I don't know if I'm wrong, but it seems like it could almost be like purchasing items from a Roman Catholic store - even though I'm not purchasing TO support Catholicism, I may be doing so anyway.

I'm seeing many sides of an argument, but I'm not sure what is correct.

It seems one thing to purchase something, say, from Amazon... and the owner of Amazon is, let's say, Jewish. And he takes a portion of those earnings to his synagogue. Okay. However, I wouldn't have known that.

But I do know some of these stores are under World Orthodoxy. Am I now supposed to stay away from them? I can do that. But am I supposed to make others aware?

Please help. Thank you so much.

stephendaniel

Re: Orthodox Stores

Post by stephendaniel »

I understand the concern about reading materials. It concerns me too, but then I'm left with nowhere to go. And this icon I received from HTM is very beautiful.

Does anybody else have any thoughts?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

stephendaniel wrote:

I understand the concern about reading materials. It concerns me too, but then I'm left with nowhere to go. And this icon I received from HTM is very beautiful.

Does anybody else have any thoughts?

I have quite a few print/mounted icons from Holy Transfiguration, and they are indeed lovely.

And their incense is superb. My husband and I use their blue prayerbook and read from their psalter every day.

Have you asked your priest yet?

Re: Restaurants

We try to eat at Greek Restaurants in our city, but then we want some choices.

I do not think that we are to question from whom we buy food and other items or we would grow hungry and crazy.

The only exception would be foods and drink offered to idols.

However, one of my friends will not go to Chinese restaurants, especially ones that have a Buddha displayed.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

niko

Post by niko »

You mentioned HTM and and reservations about buying items from them, could you please tell me why you have these reservations?
There must be something i dont know?

stephendaniel

Post by stephendaniel »

Hello Niko,

I do not have a personal problem with HTM. I believe it has been stated on this forum that HOTCA considers HTM to be schismatic. That is why I had apprehensions.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I see your concern about your loyalties. Don't try to over-analyze things. Just follow your conscience. God will guide you.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

I would make two points here on this question:

1. Our Lord recognized the distinction between the worldly things and those that reflect on our spiritual life when He stated, "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s." While I agree that there are times to boycott a given business for legitimate reasons, we nonetheless must deal with merchants who are of various faiths and heresies. You probably don’t bat an eyelash at buying a meal at a restaurant or vegetables from the grocery store and think nothing of who owns the establishments. Trade is an essential part of human survival and so long as we are not required to exchange our salvation for our needs we must secure them where necessary.
  2. I have bought many items from HTM and Eastern Christian Supply. Yes, there are divisions between ROAC and both these groups, but they offer an honest product and have always been most fair to deal with. I am in fact friends with a couple of monks at HTM and have a warm relationship with them. I would never partake of anything that I found incongruent with my faith from anyone, but when they offer something that is good and Orthodox I will utilize it. Moreover, if we True Orthodox are going to bring about some unity it will be done through calm communications and the dispelling of rumors and false assumptions. When we talk to each other and have friendly relationships with people then that process will become much more possible. So long as we do not give up Orthodoxy for the sake of worldly unity then we will pursue the right course. Buying an icon print from HTM would in nowise indicate to anyone that you agree with their every position, anymore than we think that World Orthodox people have seen the light when they purchase an icon from them.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC