Yet Another Western Rite Argument

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Re: Yet Another Western Rite Argument

Post by Suaidan »

Mark Templet wrote:

My point of view is that there should NEVER have been different "rites" in the Church; and furthermore I submit that such WAS the genesis of schism. Even prior to 1054 the Eastern and Western Churches were not talking to each other and relations were more often strained than cordial. This is not the same Church that we read about in the Book of Acts that "came together and was of one accord." The mind of the Church should not be Western or Eastern-- it should be Christian. Orthodoxy comes BEFORE being Greek or Russian or American or of any ethnic decent. We are baptized into Christ and members of His Body, that means we leave behind the old man and trade in our ethnic identity for a Christian citizenship. It is antithetical that anyone could be “repulsed” by the worship of the Church.

Father Bless:

You do realize there were different usages in the Church going back from the first centuries of the Church, correct? That Eastern and Western usages were harmonious for a thousand years before the schism? That both Eastern and Western Fathers understood, tolerated, and even embraced the Church's different customs and usages? That councils dealt with individual errors among peoples precisely because certain errors developed and the Church as a whole determined what things specifically were foreign to Her? That heretics and schismatics often used the exact same local usages as the Orthodox near them?

I am Orthodox before I am anything else, just as you are. If the Church universal decreed our rites were utterly condemned before the schism, et cetera, I would never use them. But this is going further back than any of the Fathers, or even the Church itself ever did. I'm not going to point out how different this is from St John of Shanghai's teaching, because this is totally alien to it. Even St Philaret of New York issued a corrective concerning pre-schism saints who used the filioque in their worship! [EDIT: specifically, it was a corrective for those who wished to remove "filioquist" saints from the Calendar!] The Apostles came together and were of one accord, indeed, but they were the authors of these different rites. Is St James now more important than St Peter?

I am dumbfounded. The Church isn't perfect because She is "perfect now". We accept the Church as She has always been because what She is. Practices are forgotten, practices are remembered; but we can never divorce the work from its author.

Last edited by Suaidan on Tue 25 October 2011 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

Suaidan
Sr Member

Post by Suaidan »

jgress wrote:

I think your argument makes a lot of sense. In principle, different practices are not good, since there shouldn't really be a distinction between faith and practice. In reality, the Church can tolerate some degree of difference in practice where it doesn't affect the dogmatic profession of some individual or group. But it does seem that, throughout the history of the Church, differences in practice were not tolerated indefinitely: at some point, efforts were made to eliminate the differences. Wherever differences in practice persisted without attempts to correct them, we often find that such differences in praxis eventually turned into dogmatic differences and complete severance from the Church. After all, why did the Church condemn the Gregorian calendar? Not because the calendar is itself dogma, but also not because they were blinded by fanatical anti-Latinism (as if the Holy Spirit would tolerate the Church being hijacked by nationalism). Rather, because they could see that adoption of a heterodox practice would inevitably lead to adoption of heterodox dogma, which is precisely what we've seen happen with the New Calendar churches.

Hold on a moment. The Church condemned the Gregorian Calendar because of the fact that the Calendar was a long-established and universal practice of the Church. Westerners were not using the Gregorian Calendar, or any variant calendar from the established reckoning, for hundreds of years before the schism, and hundreds of years afterwards. It's comparing apples to oranges. As well, heresy can be applied in reverse: Uniates in Ukraine by and large use the Orthodox reckoning for the calendar-- indeed it was one of the requirements they gave to the Pope at the Union of Brest-Litvosk in the 16th century. Heresy has nothing to do with a formal adherence to rule, but submission to the Church's teaching.

Singularity of rite, by contrast, was not a universal, long established, nor required practice. There was a Western monastery on Mt Athos until the end of the 12th century. Heavily Easternized variations of the Roman Rite (to make them more usable with the available variable services) were being used in pre-Nikonian Russia and are preserved in the books of the Old Believers. And the Russian Church approved restored Western Rites almost 150 years ago.

Blaming the Western Rites for every heresy that ever popped up is a dangerous and historically inaccurate mistake. And I can guarantee following this "logic" places one against the teaching of the Fathers.

Suaidan
Sr Member

Post by Suaidan »

Father Mark, I'd like to also ask one more thing.

Mark Templet wrote:

I would like to pose a different angle: suppose tomorrow that a new Pope was elected and he came out and said that the entire Western Church is heretical and must submit itself to True Orthodoxy (I know this is far far far fetched, but keep reading). This new Pope along with thousands of people worldwide suddenly fill the few True Orthodox Churches that exist and fall down on their faces weeping and begging to be accepted and forgiven for their sins and errors. After we catechized them, baptized them all properly, and chrismated them what would we do with them? Would we tell them to go back home and try to be good Christians and keep doing what they were doing before? No, that would be a huge mistake. Would we try to tell them to return to some pre Vatican II mass? No, that is still full of innovations and errors. How far back would we have to go in Western liturgics before we finally would just tell these people to do what we are doing now?

Why would the Pope not only give up all of these's people's temples, et cetera, but then tell them simply to come to us? If he was truly a responsible pastor he would corporately bring his people into the Truth as a body, and as a whole. He wouldn't tell them go to our tiny churches. This happens often when many of the "national Catholic Churches" break, and try to come in corporately. They can accept a restoration to the ancient rites upon which their rites are based, but to think they'd just send them over to us is not realistic. The Church recognized this and saw She could make use of it often before.

Otherwise, if such a Pope lacked any pastoral concern he would be going in alone-- and, properly, as a layman.

In either case, the work True Orthodox using Western rites already have done and continue to do would be of great use to True Orthodoxy as a whole.

From the Patriarchal Encyclical of 1895-- if we had this understanding, we'd probably never be having this discussion.

Each particular self-governing Church, both in the East and West, was totally independent and self-administered in the time of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. And just as the bishops of the self-governing Churches of the East, so also those of Africa, Spain, Gaul, Germany and Britain managed the affairs of their own Churches, each by their local synods, the Bishop of Rome having no right to interfere, and he himself also was equally subject and obedient to the decrees of synods. But on important questions which needed the sanction of the universal Church an appeal was made to an Ecumenical Council, which alone was and is the supreme tribunal in the universal Church. Such was the ancient constitution of the Church; but the bishops were independent of each other and each entirely free within his own bounds, obeying only the syndical decrees, and they sat as equal one to another in synods. Moreover, none of them ever laid claim to monarchical rights over the universal Church; and ii sometimes certain ambitious bishops of Rome raised excessive claims to an absolutism unknown to the Church, such were duly reproved and rebuked The assertion therefore of Leo XIII, when he says in his Encyclical that before the period of the great Photius the name of the Roman throne was holy among all the peoples of the Christian world, and that the East, like the West, with one accord and without opposition, was subject to the Roman pontiff as lawful successor, so to say, of the Apostle Peter, and consequently vicar of Jesus Christ on earth is proved to be inaccurate and a manifest error.

XVII. During the nine centuries of the Ecumenical Councils the Eastern Orthodox Church never recognized the excessive claims of primacy on the part of the bishops of Rome, nor consequently did she ever submit herself to them, as Church history plainly bears witness. The independent relation of the East to the West is clearly and manifestly shown also by those few and most significant words of Basil the Great, which he writes in a letter to the holy Eusebius, Bishop of Samosata: 'For when haughty characters are courted, it is their nature to become still more disdainful. For if the Lord be merciful to us, what other assistance do we need? But if the wrath of God abide on us, what help is there for us from Western superciliousness? Men who neither know the truth nor can bear to learn it, but being prejudiced by false suspicions, they act now as they did before in the case of Marcellus.' [23] The celebrated Photius, therefore, the sacred Prelate and luminary of Constantinople, defending this independence of the Church of Constantinople after the middle of the ninth century, and foreseeing the impending perversion of the ecclesiastical constitution in the West, and its defection from the orthodox East, at first endeavored in a peaceful manner to avert the danger; but the Bishop of Rome, Nicholas 1, by his uncanonical interference with the East, beyond the bounds of his diocese, and by the attempt which he made to subdue the Church of Constantinople to himself, pushed maners to the verge of the grievous separation of the Churches. The first seeds of these claims of a papal absolutism were scattered abroad in the pseudo-Clementines, and were cultivated, exactly at the epoch of this Nicholas, in the so-called pseudo-lsidorian decrees, which are a farrago of spurious and forged royal decrees and letters of ancient bishops of Rome, by which, contrary to the truth of history and the established constitution of the Church, it was purposely promulgated that, as they said, Christian antiquity assigned to the bishops of Rome an unbounded authority over the universal Church.

XVIII. These facts we recall with sorrow of heart, inasmuch as the Papal Church, though she now acknowledges the spuriousness and forged character of those decrees on which her excessive claims are grounded, not only stubbornly refuses to come back to the canons and decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, but even in the expiring years of the nineteenth century has widened the existing gulf by officially proclaiming, to the astonishment of the Christian world, that the Bishop of Rome is even infallible. The orthodox Eastern and catholic Church of Christ, with the exception of the Son and Word of God, who was ineffably made man, knows no one infallible upon earth. Even the Apostle Peter himself, whose successor the Pope thinks himself to be, thrice denied the Lord, and was twice rebuked by the Apostle Paul, as not walking uprightly according to the truth of the Gospel. [24] Afterwards the Pope Liberius, in the fourth century, subscribed an Arian confession; and likewise Zosimus, in the fifth century, approved an heretical confession, denying original sin. Virgilius, in the sixth century, was condemned for wrong opinions by the fifth Council; and Honorius, having fallen into the Monothelite heresy, was condemned in the seventh century by the sixth Ecumenical Council as a heretic, and the popes who succeeded him acknowledged and accepted his condemnation.

XIX. With these and such facts in view, the peoples of the West, becoming gradually civilized by the diffusion of letters, began to protest against innovations, and to demand (as was done in the fifteenth century at the Councils of Constance and Basle) the return to the ecclesiastical constitution of the first centuries, to which, by the grace of God, the orthodox Churches throughout the East and North, which alone now form the one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of Christ, the pillar and ground of the truth, remain, and will always remain, faithful. The same was done in the seventeenth century by the learned Gallican theologians, and in the eighteenth by the bishops of Germany; and in this present century of science and criticism, the Christian conscience rose up in one body in the year 1870, in the persons of the celebrated clerics and theologians of Germany, on account of the novel dogma of the infallibility of the Popes, issued by the Vatican Council, a consequence of which rising is seen in the formation of the separate religious communities of the old Catholics, who, having disowned the papacy, are quite independent of it.

XX. In vain, therefore, does the Bishop of Rome send us to the sources that we may seek diligently for what our forefathers believed and what the first period of Christianity delivered to us. In these sources we, the orthodox, find the old and divinely-transmitted doctrines, to which we carefully hold fast to the present time, and nowhere do we find the innovations which later times of empty mindedness brought forth in the West, and which the Papal Church having adopted retains till this very day. The orthodox Eastern Church then justly glories in Christ as being the Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils and of the first nine centuries of Christianity, and therefore the one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of Christ, 'the pillar and ground of the truth'; [25] but the present Roman Church is the Church of innovations, of the falsification of the writings of the Church Fathers, and of the misinterpretation of the Holy Scripture and of the decrees of the holy councils, for which she has reasonably and justly been disowned, and is still disowned, so far as she remains in her error. 'For better is a praiseworthy war than a peace which separates from God,' as Gregory of Nazianzus also says.

Where is there talk about the need for transformation of rites in this document?

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

You do realize there were different usages in the Church going back from the first centuries of the Church, correct? That Eastern and Western usages were harmonious for a thousand years before the schism? That both Eastern and Western Fathers understood, tolerated, and even embraced the Church's different customs and usages? That councils dealt with individual errors among peoples precisely because certain errors developed and the Church as a whole determined what things specifically were foreign to Her? That heretics and schismatics often used the exact same local usages as the Orthodox near them?

They coexisted yes, but one could hardly say that everythings was harmonious and then suddenly there was a split. My opinion is not in the context of 2,000 or even 1,000 years ago. I am talking about the contemporary idea of the Western Rite being used as you claimed it to be for outreach to the heterodox. Quite a abit happened between the Great Schism and now that can't be ignored. Not the least of which, is the preservation of the True Faith in the form that we have today.

Again, I am expressing my opinion that the liturgical differences, though tolerated, served as a wedge between the East and West. Rather than tyring to re-establish such things in the last days, my opinion is that we need to be much more monolithic in our orthodoxy and orthopraxis.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

Suaidan
Sr Member

Post by Suaidan »

Mark Templet wrote:

They coexisted yes, but one could hardly say that everythings was harmonious and then suddenly there was a split.

What does that even mean? Things were NEVER harmonious in the Church! We have prayers to heal the schisms of the Churches in our prayerbooks. My point was that there were differences that were accepted and embraced. Likewise the reverse was true. One only has to look at the writings of St Martin of Braga to see that it went both ways, that even back then there were calls for greater uniformity with larger sees on certain matters.

My opinion is not in the context of 2,000 or even 1,000 years ago. I am talking about the contemporary idea of the Western Rite being used as you claimed it to be for outreach to the heterodox.

If you are talking to an Orthodox, then it has to be in such a context. And truth be told it should be in such a context. For us to laud the Holy Councils of the Church and use them as the current basis of practice, for use to read the writings of the Holy Fathers of the Philokalia, for us to use a liturgy written by St John Chrysostom, and then to say "we're going to deal with the here and now" is impossible.

Quite a abit happened between the Great Schism and now that can't be ignored.

What does this have to do with Western Orthodox? Should I apologize for Cardinal Humbert? Sorry about that, wheezy Frankish heretic had a bit of a temper. OK! Squared away now? I mean, this reminds me of Vladimir Moss apologizing to the RTOC for England.

Not the least of which, is the preservation of the True Faith in the form that we have today.

Again, I am expressing my opinion that the liturgical differences, though tolerated, served as a wedge between the East and West. Rather than tyring to re-establish such things in the last days, my opinion is that we need to be much more monolithic in our orthodoxy and orthopraxis.

I give up. I feel as though I just wrote nothing. How can I answer "well, this is my opinion" and "we feel". There's no substance to it, because in the end, if one points out this is not how it always was, it goes back to "this is better than then, because I think so". There's no argument here.

But to those who have something to say about the traditional and Orthodox Western rites, I can only ask you what you really know of us from your experience: because, that's painfully from where I speak. You started by saying different (read: Western) Rites should not exist (I imagine you aren't telling Greeks to adopt Russian usages, or vice versa). Forgive me: but I, using those Western rites, take that very personally and I demand a good reason not to exist. I'm not abandoning uses that nourished countless saints because of people's feelings.

Obviously I'll never convince the crowd to not scare people who dare consider walking into one of our temples. And we feel it, indeed, when people tell us that "Father so-and-so" says our rites are heretical, and our One Orthodox Faith is something of which we don't partake, that we're "weirdos", and "crazies" (I've actually heard both those words used).

I am a Western Orthodox and-- however poorly, and badly I so do-- I pray using the rites and services of St Isidore, who, with his brother St Leander, himself codified the usages according to the Fathers of Hispania, that came from the Holy Apostle Peter. To those who say such people (for we are not talking about books for many years now, but people) should not exist, I only answer that we already do. Are we heretics? Should we be gotten rid of? Labelled as schismatics?

As you can see, I must take it personally. For these things are about my very existence as it is.

Let me phrase the question another way, the right way:

Why shouldn't I exist as I am?

Mark Templet

Post by Mark Templet »

Dear Father Joseph,

You should exist and have every right to do so because you are a child of the Most High.

As I have stated before, if my synod of bishops were to embrace a Western Rite, I wouldn't leave or breath a single word of opposition unless I was asked. When I direct my parishioners to or away from anything, it is based on my directions from my bishop.

Furthermore, believe me, I know what you feel to be isolated because of the faith and being labeled a "weirdo."

It is my opinion that the Western Rite creates more problems than it solves and is potentially a reason for schism. Yes, it was there in the first thousand year, but look at what that got us-- millions upon million of westerners led astray. So, because it existed in the early Church is not a reason to embrace it today, to me.

You have expressed your opinion (quite well) and I have too. I dare say, that we are unlikely to change each others minds. People who read this thread will have to consider both our points of view. In the meantime, I respect that you struggle in your own ways and I am far from innocent. I won't stir this pot any more.

Let us pray that we both find God's mercy in the end.

Fr. Mark Templet
ROAC

Revnitel
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Revnitel »

I think that if someone were to practice the Western rites of the pre Schism West, one wouldn't have anything much different than the Eastern Rite. Since the Western Rite passed out of Orthodoxy, there is no point in pursuing it today. We have a way to be Orthodox which is true, proven and living. Why do people insist on novelties and nonconformity to prove a point? The Western Rite didn't survive in Orthodoxy. Pray in the rite which lives.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),