Dogma of Redemption

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Dogma of Redemption

Post by Matthew »

Clovis wrote:

Metropolitan Anthony of sorrowful memory indeed was a heretic, and indeed his heresies had already been condemned by Church and if you read the report of Archbishop Theophan of joyous memory you will see that he states this clearly and lists where he falls under anathema; the canons of the Council of Carthage against Pelagianism is somewhere to start. ROCOR in its typical confusing fashion didnt settle the issue. Met Anthony might have been in the Church but he was not of Church. You are right he wasnt a heresiarch because he only vomited up again the heresy of the Roman Catholic Abelard; which was condemned by Roman Catholicism itself!

Dear Clovis,

Forgive me, but I am shocked by your words. The Holy Fathers and Saints of the Orthodox Church, though they were in a position to speak with authority and in judgement because, unlike us spiritually blind and destitute ones, they were illumined and had progressed to great hights spiritually in compunction and holiness and yet they were very cautious about such matters. Rather, they constantly displayed trembling, fear, humility, and self-condemnation; but above all, a great reluctance to speak a single word against another member of the Church--especially hierarchs, even when such judgements were called for or justified. In such cases, they did not have the tone of superiority and self-assurance that you seem to have. In the case of Metr. Anthony, it seems to me by what you have said that you are entirely assured in yourself of your opinions being God-illumined and inerrant and beyond questioning. Be that as it may, try to practice at least a tone of self-reproach before you barbecue one of the hierarchs of the Church, whom you admit was in the Church (even if you insist on your clairvoyant knowledge and discernment in the Spirit that "he was not of the Church"). Show some fear of God rather than relishing to run to anathematising someone that neither St John of Shanghai condemned, nor St Philaret of Jordanville, nor Bishop of Averky, nor did Archbishop Andrei of Novo-Diveyevo. I do not know you, but I would be very surprised indeed if you proved to be above them in spiritual stature and worthiness and discernment to level such judgements out against Metr. Anthony Khrapovitsky. Mark well, these aforementioned holy men, (two of whom are formally recognised as saints, and one widely held to be clairvoyant - Abp Andrei) who were, I wager far more well-acquainted with the man in question and his writings than are you or whoever's tutelage you are under. Finally, I would like to know under whose influence you came to such conclusions and who taught you that as an Orthodox Christian that it was acceptable to speak your mind with such a harsh, proud attitude. My advice, whoever it is, get away from them because they are blinding you to the weightier things of the law, and because your opinion about Metr. Anthony adds nothing to aiding you in your salvation. If anything, it will be a hinderance and a besetting weight. The whole of our faith tells us to pay attention to our own sins first and to develop as much compunction as we possibly can, and to this alone requires all one's time and energy if one is serious about pefecting this virtue. We are to fear the hour of OUR death, not what might have happened to someone else. Focus on that and your heart and mind will enjoy a good deal more peace. Until we have perfected ourselves and are truly walking in the Age to Come, it is not wise to preoccupy ourselves with things that do not concern us, since by the very fact that we are still spiritually "children" and not even "young men" much less "old men", it is presumptuous to imagine we see clearly enough to judge where Saints contemporary with both Metr. Anthony and ourselves did not venture to judge.

Sincerely,

Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thanks for this post, Symeon.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Yes, indeed, Metr. Anthony Khrapovitsky was a heresiarch. For him the Redemption was without the Holy Cross. He was influenced by Protestantism. His "Redemption" was only moralistic, not ontological.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

The link providing an English translation of the Dogma of Redemption originally posted by HOCNA has been removed.

Does anyone have another link that provides access to this publication?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Dcn.Ephrem
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by Dcn.Ephrem »

Maria wrote:

The link providing an English translation of the Dogma of Redemption originally posted by HOCNA has been removed.

Does anyone have another link that provides access to this publication?

Maria, if you would like for me to send you a pdf of the document, I could do that. Just private message me your email address and I will send it to you soon.

Fr. Deacon Ephrem Cummings
Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC)

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Post by Isaakos »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

Yes, indeed, Metr. Anthony Khrapovitsky was a heresiarch. For him the Redemption was without the Holy Cross. He was influenced by Protestantism. His "Redemption" was only moralistic, not ontological.

Who summoned him to Trial? Who accused him to a synod? Who condemned him? Have you no understanding of the canonical process. Canon 6 of Constantinople I:

"CANON VI Because many men, in a spirit of enmity and for purposes of slander being desirous to confound and subvert ecclesiastical discipline, connive to fabricate certain charges against Orthodox Bishops managing the churches, in an attempt designing nothing else but to sully the reputation of the priests, and to raise disturbances among peoples who are at peace; on this account it has pleasedthe holy Synod of the Bishops who have convened in Constantinople to decree that informers are not to be admitted without examination, nor are all men to be allowed to bring accusations against those managing the churches, nor yet are all to be excluded. But if anyone lay a personal grievance, that is, a private complaint, against a Bishop, on the ground that he has been a victim of the Bishop’s greed or other unjust treatment, in the case of such accusations neither the personality nor the religion of the accuser is to be inquired into. For then the conscience of the Bishop must be clear in every respect, and the man who claims to have been wronged should receive justice whatever be his religion. But if the indictment brought against the Bishop be of an ecclesiastical nature, then the personality of the informers must be considered, in order, first of all, not to allow heretics to make charges against Orthodox Bishops in regard to ecclesiastical matters. We call heretics those who have of old been proscribed from the Church and those who have thereafter been anathematized by us; and in addition those who though pretending to confess the sound faith, have schismatically separated and have gathered congregations in opposition to our canonical Bishops. Further, as regarding those who have previously been condemned by the Church on certain charges and have been ousted from this or excluded from Communion, whether they belong to the clergy or to the ranks of laymen, neither shall these persons be allowed to accuse a Bishop until they have first cleared themselves of their own indictment. Likewise as regarding those who themselves previously been accused, they are not to be permitted to accuse a Bishop, or other clergymen, until they have first proved themselves innocent of the charges placed against them. If however, certain persons are neither heretics nor excluded from Communion, nor condemned, nor previously charged with any offenses, should declare that they have an accusation of an ecclesiastical nature against a Bishop, the holy Synod bids these persons to lodge their accusations before all the Bishops of the province and before them to prove the charges against the Bishop involved in the case. But if it so happen that the provincial Bishops are unable or incompetent to decide the case against the Bishop and make the correction due, then they are to go to a greater synod of the Bishops of this diocese summoned to try this case. And they are not to lodge the accusation until they themselves have in writing agreed to incur the same penalty if in the course of the trial it be proved that they have been slandering the accused Bishop. But if anyone, scorning what has been decreed in the foregoing statements, should dare either to annoy the emperor’s ears or to trouble courts of secular authorities or an ecumenical synod to the disturbance of all the Bishops of the diocese, let no such person be allowed to present any information whatever, because of his having thus roundly insulted the Canons and ecclesiastical discipline..

Did any of this occur regarding the Novelty he sometimes taught? No? Then you have nothing to say.

You also clearly ignore what MAKES a heretic heretical: it is not ONLY a false teaching, but a false teaching that REFUSES to be corrected. In other words, there are no accidental heretics. You have to be stubborn and pertinacity a and refuse to accept correction. Where did the metropolitan betray such characteristics? Nowhere. On the contrary, when he learned the controversial nature of his opinion, he ceased to publicly teach it. So retract your claim of heresiarch immediately. It is rash, uncalled for, ignorant and theologically untrue.

“What exactly are you here for?”

“…To see with eyes unclouded by hate.”

Hieromonk Enoch
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Post by Hieromonk Enoch »

Philaret,

You said:
" but a false teaching that REFUSES to be corrected. In other words, there are no accidental heretics."

But is this always the case? For example, as far as I understand, Theodore of Mopsuestia died in the 'peace of the Church'; but, his heretical writings and person were condemned by the 5th Ecumenical Council? And that was over an hundred years after his death.

In Christ,

Fr. Enoch

“We cannot destroy the Ecclesiastical Canons, who are defenders and keepers of the Canons, not their transgressors.” (Pope St. Martin the Confessor)

http://nftu.net/

http://westernorthodoxchristian.blogspot.com/