Harry Potter and Orthodoxy

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Fr. Steven Allen: ROCOR, Met. Agathangel & SiR

Post by Cyprian »

The Kyprianites are indeed heretics, on more than one level. For example, there are at least three bishops of theirs that I know of that promote the satanic Harry Potter books. That alone is reason enough to avoid all contact with them.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

Cyprian wrote:

The Kyprianites are indeed heretics, on more than one level. For example, there are at least three bishops of theirs that I know of that promote the satanic Harry Potter books. That alone is reason enough to avoid all contact with them.

Well, I don't know if that makes them heretics, but I did find a book by a John Granger of the Synod in Resistance (with the apparent consent of his Bishop) about "Looking for God in Harry Potter". I don't see any value in that whatsoever, and that strikes me as stretching (why not "Looking for God in the Disney Channel" or "Looking for God on MTV"?)

That is sad. What I said notwithstanding, that's truly disappointing.

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Harry Potter and Orthodoxy

Post by Cyprian »

Suaiden wrote:

Well, I don't know if that makes them heretics, but I did find a book by a John Granger of the Synod in Resistance (with the apparent consent of his Bishop) about "Looking for God in Harry Potter". I don't see any value in that whatsoever, and that strikes me as stretching (why not "Looking for God in the Disney Channel" or "Looking for God on MTV"?)

It demonstrates that they are promoters of sorcery, magic, witchcraft, freemasonry, satanism, and all other manner of the occult. It manifests these Kyprianite bishops as priests of Satan, not of God. Even if these Cyprianite bishops did abandon their unorthodox ecclesiology, I still wouldn't dare go near them.

The Kyprianite reader and occultist John Granger had the nerve to call Miss J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, a "traditional and orthodox Christian" in one of his books. Bishop Auxentius quotes this passage from his book approvingly in the article I reference below.

Here is a picture of Miss Rowling at a gala event, wearing a serpent pendant. How many "traditional and orthodox Christians" have you met that go around wearing a serpent pendant around their neck?

Here is a link to a documentary of J.K. Rowling where she is asked whether or not she believes in God. The question takes place at 6:13 into the clip. Judge for yourself: does this witch come across as a "traditional and orthodox Christian" to anyone? She cannot even confess to a belief in God without hesitating, stammering, pausing, and then admitting her doubt as to His existence.

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 1 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

Bp. Auxentios of Photiki penned an article called The Harry Potter Phenomenon and Orthodox Reactions, which was published in the official C.T.O.S. periodical of Abp. Chrysostomos of Etna, Orthodox Tradition, Vol XX - 2003 No.3.

You can find the article on Harry Potter here:
http://www.synodinresistance.org/Public ... 3-2003.pdf

Auxentius repeatedly characterizes Orthodox Christians who oppose the Harry Potter books as unintellectual, unthinking, ethnocentric, and xenophobic, who engage in crude religious intolerance, as well as taking their cues from Protestant fundamentalists.

"Profound Christian symbolism," exists in the Harry Potter books, according to Auxentios of Photiki, and he also claims the books are of "value in teaching fundamental Christian values to children," in "a harmless way."

Finally, Auxentios summarizes his endorsement of this diabolical series of books by saying, "The negative reactions to the Harry Potter phenomenon that we see today are, in essence, neither truly Orthodox nor expressed in the spirit of catholicity which is the core of Orthodox Christianity."

So, this madman claims that if you have a negative reaction to Harry Potter, you are simply not Orthodox.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

Cyprian wrote:
Suaiden wrote:

It demonstrates that they are promoters of sorcery, magic, witchcraft, freemasonry, satanism, and all other manner of the occult. It manifests these Kyprianite bishops as priests of Satan, not of God. Even if these Cyprianite bishops did abandon their unorthodox ecclesiology, I still wouldn't dare go near them.... So, this madman claims that if you have a negative reaction to Harry Potter, you are simply not Orthodox.

I would say that I myself personally find myself genuinely distressed by the Harry Potter phenomenon, and am thoroughly disgusted that so much useful time in life was wasted defending this dribble. Although, I would frankly wonder how many people really agree that Harry Potter is something negative, particularly clergy. I get the impression old Harry is on many a cleric's bookshelf, though they wouldn't say it in public....

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

soldier
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by soldier »

Cyprian wrote:

Well said!

FACTS ABOUT HARRY POTTER

The Pagan Federation of England said that Potter's fame has given credibility to the religion of witchcraft, attracting thousands of enquirers.

Witchcraft is the fastest growing religion among teenagers.

Co-authors of Harry Potter and the Global Child explain the dangers of desensitizing children to the dangers of the occult and pagan philosophy taught in Harry Potter's Hogwarts school of Witchcraft.

Bill Schnoebelen, a former Mason, said children are being desensitized to the weirdness quotient. He calls it Witchcraft 101.

Almost fifty percent of teens polled have seen the first Harry Potter movie or read the books. Out of the teens polled, fifty three percent are between the ages of 13 and 14. Twelve percent of those exposed to Potter said they were interested in Witchcraft. Of those twelve percent, four percent said they were a lot more interested in Witchcraft. Eight percent were a little more interested as a result of one of the books or movie. Even though this accounts for a small amount of teenagers, it's still about five percent of all U.S. teens. More than a million students say that they were more interested in witchcraft as a result of Harry Potter.

(Source: video, "The Gods Of Entertainment"). If you see this video use caution because ungodly images are used.

See also the video, "HARRY POTTER: Witchcraft Repackaged Making Evil Look Innocent."

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) of all people, condemned Harry Potter. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
http://au.christiantoday.com/article/ex ... r/3730.htm

(note: there is no comparison between C.S. Lewis' book and Harry Potter).

"The old dread and fear of the serpent is being subtly removed from our culture." --Caryl Matriciana.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Harry Potter and Orthodoxy

Post by Barbara »

I feel in a state of paralysis almost seeing that vile picture.
The person looks = to me - evil. It doesn't even seem like a woman. Like there is some sort
of devil which is very masculine roaming around her. Any ideas, anyone : is this possible ? What do the Fathers say ?

Even without the dastardly pendant, the face is so dark that I feel shaken up.

I avoided the entire phenomenon from start to finish. I hated the name of the character : sounds so stupid and juvenile,
even not knowing any more than that.

Well NOW here is the evidence from that sharp poster, Cyprian [we need you back here, on the double !!]
about SiR.

I now remember something like that, but I didn't realize the endorsement had gone THAT far.

Roll of the eyes... no wonder I thought they were heretics, Cyprian and soldier are very right stressing that point for
all to sit up and learn from. Many naive people have been drawn into their nets, sadly.
Maybe they will SEE, from THIS one thread alone, that as the line from Hamlet goes, "Something is rotten in Denmark".

AND in SiR. The whole thing makes my skin crawl.

[ I looked over at the current thread in Intra-Toc, re Colorado Skete, and saw a reference to Hamlet in there, funny timing
that both old threads pulled up should refer back to Shakespeare / Hamlet.

Does anyone believe that Shakespeare was not the character usually billed as ? Topic for another thread some day ?
I am sure it was not, but someone smarter.]

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian

Re: Harry Potter and Orthodoxy

Post by Maria »

Mod Note: This thread has been moved into Intra-TOC Polemics.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.