Religious cults in Orthodoxy

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Re: Religious cults in Orthodoxy

Post by Pravoslavnik »

I don't know the answer to the original question, but I cannot recall ever hearing of famous holy monasteries-- those in Holy Russia or on Mount Athos or Scetis, for example-- displaying portraits or photos of living Elders. Perhaps I am mistaken. On the contrary, many famous Elders shunned veneration and the praise of men.

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

That makes sense.

For whatever it's worth - I think this topic is highly important to help all of us to determine which are Wheat and which are Chaff [- or worse!] without having to scan through the Pokrov site. I have looked at it once or twice, but each time felt bombarded by hordes of bad spirits, which make me reluctant to return.
In short maybe there's too much impurity getting stirred up in lower minds, so when one opens that site, he or she is hit by a wave of this variety of demon.
Just postulating why it's so slimy-feeling.

But the topic is relevant: who are real Elders and who aren't? So to warn those people who may be trapped for years needlessly in the thrall of some.

I would mention this one thought offhand: if it's an American convert who is adorning himself as an Elder, watch out!
Not authentic and probably too ego-centered to have any wisdom worth imparting.
Not that Russian or Orthodox-born leaders are necessarily the real article either.
But I would estimate the chance of an American being a real Elder as next to nil.

Finally, I think it was Fr Ephraim who a friend told me advised her to do exactly the opposite of what was right for her. Almost as if he used plain everyday very worldly reasoning - which was wrong just for her.
So I would never trust these people to make a decision for me!
Anyone else can consult if they want.
But that told me right there that Father is not only not clairvoyant but misguided to put it politely!

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

We have to consider how the picture is approached. If it is in the living room because a person has a picture of an elder then I think that would be alright. But, if it is included in the icon corner and venerated, then that would be wrong. Didn't people have pictures of Saints Met. Philaret or Vladika John Maximovich in their homes? Was that wrong?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Kosmas
Jr Member

Post by Kosmas »

"We have to consider how the picture is approached. If it is in the living room because a person has a picture of an elder then I think that would be alright. But, if it is included in the icon corner and venerated, then that would be wrong. Didn't people have pictures of Saints Met. Philaret or Vladika John Maximovich in their homes? Was that wrong?"

I agree on all points Joasia but would like to clarify the on the last one.
The photos of St. John Maximovich and St. Philaret were most likely displayed publicaly AFTER their repose and especially in churches and monasteries. As Pravoslavnik points out this is the Athonite & Russian tradition and should be followed.
Perhaps, if the Monastery's founder is still alive would that be reason enough to have his portraits displayed?

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Perchance, would you be referring to the self-styled [nearly, anyway?] Met Jonah of All America ?
I bet his photo is Framed beautifully and displayed out there in Manton, CA.

Or perhaps the St Anthony of the Desert Monastery's founders, or both?

I checked with the friend I mentioned above about the very bad spiritual counsel. To set the record correctly, it was Elder Paisy or whatever the Greeks call him, Elder Paisios who was the donor of that dud recommendation.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Kosmas,

To your post:

The photos of St. John Maximovich and St. Philaret were most likely displayed publicaly AFTER their repose and especially in churches and monasteries

Many people had their pictures in their homes. I'm not sure what you mean about the public display; this sounds like your own personal view - not something to take seriously. What churches and monasteries displayed their photos?

Since you say: "most likely displayed"...this is definitely an expression of someone who is speculating. You have no validity with me in your response.

Try again.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Kosmas,

I just want to clarify that I didn't mean to sound so abrupt. Reading my post the next day gives me a clearer view of what I wrote. It was late and I just wrote quickly. Plus, we don't have the edit option the day after so I have to add a post. I understand your explanation. I never thought that having a picture of an elder was an issue, as long as it wasn't treated with venerations. I know of many now elderly Russians who had pictures of Met Philaret, but that's because they met him and were able to take his picture. I know of several people that had St. John's picture, but he was referred to as Vladika, so having an elder's picture doesn't seem to be a problem...as long as it's not treated as an icon. I just think it's a picture of someone we care about along with pictures of family and friends who are still living.

Joanna