Three Verses We Heard This Evening

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Three Verses We Heard This Evening

Post by GOCPriestMark »

When thou didst become the bride of Christ, with a ready heart thou didst offer thy faithful servants to Him as a living dowry; for by grace and fervent faith they did eagerly emulate thine own steadfast courage; and, O wise Evgenia, they both shone forth openly, practised in all manner of virtue, truly being godly-wise Martyrs who preached right religion in the ears of all.

Let us celebrate, O ye peoples, the Forefeast of the Nativity of Christ; and raising our mind on high, let us be taken up in spirit unto Bethlehem, and with the eyes of our soul, let us look upon the Virgin, as she maketh haste unto the cave to give birth to the Lord of all and our God. Beholding the greatness of His wonders, Joseph supposed that he saw a mere man wrapped as a babe in swaddling clothes; but from the things that were accomplished, he perceived that it was the true God, Who granteth great mercy to our souls.

Make ready, O cave, for the Ewe-lamb cometh, bearing Christ in her womb. And do thou, O manger, receive Him that with a word hath loosed us, the earthborn, from irrational deeds. Ye shepherds abiding in the field, be ye witnesses of the dread wonder. And ye Magi from Persia, offer gold, and frankincense, and myrrh unto the King; for the Lord hath appeared from a Virgin Mother. And bowing to Him like a handmaiden, His Mother worshipped Him, and addressed Him that was in her arms: How wast Thou sown within me? And how hast Thou grown within me, O my Redeemer and my God?

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia