Prayer Before Reading the Holy Scriptures: Daily Readings

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Methodius

Prayer Before Reading the Holy Scriptures: Daily Readings

Post by Methodius »

Make to shine in our hearts, O Master who lovest man, the incorrupt light of Thy divine knowledge, and open the eyes of our mind to the comprehension of the preaching of Thy Gospel. Implant also in us the fear of Thy blessed commandments that, trampling down all carnal desires, we may pursue a spiritual way of life, both thinking and doing all things well-pleasing unto Thee. For Thou art the enlightenment of our souls and bodies, O Christ God, and unto Thee do we send up glory, together with Thy Father, who is without beginning, and Thine all-holy, and good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

After scripture reading prayer:

" Blessed is God Who desires all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, now and forever. O Lord and Master, our God call us, Thy servants to Thy holy illumination, and make us worthy of Thy wondrous grace, take from us the things of old, and renew us unto life eternal, and fill us the things of old, and renew us unto life eternal, and fill us with the power of the Holy Spirit unto union with Thee Christ, so that we may not be children of the flesh, but children of the Heavenly Kingdom. Through the Prayers of our Holy Father, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon us and save us, Amen ".

james

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Another one!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Another one:

Prayers of the Holy Hierarch Saint John Chrysostom
Before Reading the Word of God, the Lives of the Saints,
or Any Spiritual Reading

+In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit:

Illumine my heart, O Master who lovest mankind, with the pure light of Thy divine knowledge. Open Thou the eyes of my mind to the understanding of Thy Gospel teachings. Implant also in me a love for Thy blessed commandments. Grant me the grace to overcome all my carnal desires, so that I may enter more completely into a spiritual manner of living, both thinking and doing such things as are well pleasing to Thee. For Thou art the illumination of our souls and bodies, O Christ our God, and unto Thee do we ascribe glory, together with Thine all-holy, good and life-creating Spirit; now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

O Lord Jesus Christ, open Thou the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Thy word and understand and do Thy will, for I am a sojourner upon the earth. Hide not Thy commandments from me, but open mine eyes, that I may perceive the wonders of Thy law. Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom. On Thee do I set my hope, O my God, that Thou shalt enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Thy knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the Saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For Thou art the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from Thee cometh every good deed and every gift. Amen.

Having finished the reading one should say:

+By the intercessions of Thine All-immaculate Mother and of all Thy Saints, Lord Jesus Christ, our God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Prayer Before Reading the Holy Scriptures: Daily Reading

Post by Maria »

In order to encourage the reading of the Holy Scriptures, I think it would be great to share an excerpt from the Gospel and/or Epistle reading from the day. According to copyright laws, we should limit our excerpts to three sentences.

For August 9, August 21 (NS): Holy Apostle Matthias of the Twelve

The reading is taken from the Acts of the Apostles (NKJV): Acts 1: 12-17 and 21-26.

• 13 And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. ...

24-26 And they prayed and said, “You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.” And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias.

The Gospel is from Matthew 24: 27-33 and 42-51 (NKJV)

• 29-31 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Let us continue in prayer and fasting as we await the Coming of Christ either in our own lifetime or at His Glorious Second Coming when He shall appear on the clouds of heaven.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.