Eastern Orthodox Bible

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

They also recommended I read "The Eastern Orthodox Church," by Ernst Benz. He was not even Orthodox. His stories about the ancient saints and how birds nested in their hair as they stood motionless in prayer, really inspired me.

I've always wondered why there are no saints like that anymore.

Last edited by Evfimy on Fri 29 February 2008 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

If anyone here knows why there are no more great saints like the old days, let me know. Where are the pillar saints and anchorites? Why are there no more Symeon the Stylites, Anthony the Greats, etc? I've always wondered this.

It seems like the sanctifying spiritual energy that was once in the world is not as strong today. Is this due to our sins? I've always wondered what happened.

It seems like the Church was strongest in terms of spriritual power in the earliest days, and that there has been a steady decline as time progressed.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

But, I do recommend the website: fatheralexander.org. I haven't seen anything questionable there and I've read much. Actually, I print them up, at work. You can spend months, even a year, going through all the material.

Dear Joanna,

The site is quite voluminous so it is understandable that you may not have had the opportunity to run across anything questionable yet.

However, I feel obliged to inform you that Bp. Alexander Mileant of sorrowful memory fell into heresy and apostasy, and this is reflected on the website which bears his name. He openly with bared head taught the Evolution blasphemy, suggesting that the "first humanoid apes" roamed the earth at 34*106 (i.e. 34 times 10 to the 6th power) or 34 million years ago!

See for yourself.

The Origins of the World and Mankind
An Attempt to Reconcile the Biblical Account with Scientific Discoveries

Bishop Alexander (Mileant)
Translated by Karyn and Michael Grigoriev. Edited by Natalia Semyanko

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... eant_e.htm

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page to see the idiotic timeline he concocted.

Also...

Here is a link to this same site bearing his name publishing a cacodox confession of faith originally published by the heretical HOCNA crew in 1996.

I Believe... :
A Short Exposition of Orthodox Doctrine
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... ne_ext.htm

Because of this heretical HOCNA confession, and because of the Evolution blasphemies, I could not in good conscience ever send someone to his filthy site, for fear that they may come across those pages.

May God grant you strength and pour out many blessings upon you this Lenten season,

Cyprian

Papoutsis1
Jr Member

Post by Papoutsis1 »

Cyprian wrote:

Dear Joanna,

The site is quite voluminous so it is understandable that you may not have had the opportunity to run across anything questionable yet.

However, I feel obliged to inform you that Bp. Alexander Mileant of sorrowful memory fell into heresy and apostasy, and this is reflected on the website which bears his name. He openly with bared head taught the Evolution blasphemy, suggesting that the "first humanoid apes" roamed the earth at 34*106 (i.e. 34 times 10 to the 6th power) or 34 million years ago!

See for yourself.

The Origins of the World and Mankind
An Attempt to Reconcile the Biblical Account with Scientific Discoveries

Bishop Alexander (Mileant)
Translated by Karyn and Michael Grigoriev. Edited by Natalia Semyanko

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... eant_e.htm

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page to see the idiotic timeline he concocted.

Also...

Here is a link to this same site bearing his name publishing a cacodox confession of faith originally published by the heretical HOCNA crew in 1996.

I Believe... :
A Short Exposition of Orthodox Doctrine
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... ne_ext.htm

Because of this heretical HOCNA confession, and because of the Evolution blasphemies, I could not in good conscience ever send someone to his filthy site, for fear that they may come across those pages.

May God grant you strength and pour out many blessings upon you this Lenten season,

Cyprian

Ok first, you actually believe Evolution is a heresy? OK what church council has declared evolution a heresy? The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese sincerely takes the position of "Theistic Evolution." Hate to burst your bubble but the first eleven chapters of Genesis cannot be taken literally. If you do and actually think the world was created 6,000 years ago you haven't cracked a science book open for a looooong time my friend.

Evolution is not a heresy. teaching a materialistic view of Evolution that is the heresy not the actual creative process. If this is what you people actually believe then none of you know nothing about scientific scrutiny. Finally the God of the Bible and the God of science and evolution are the same! there is no contradiction. I make a very humble suggestion use your minds and start thinking for yourselves. God does not want people who cannot think for themselves.

Does the theory of Evolution have problems? Yes, I will admit this, but they are problems that can and will eventually be worked out. Especially with the completion of the Human Genome Project that shows that Modern Homo Sapiens (i.e. modern man) is far older that 6,000 years! How do you argue with genetics?

Even when it comes to the principle of "Irreducible Complexity" if one read's Darwin's Black Box by Michael J. Behe not even he discounts evolution and and the old earth principle, but adds to, or could add to, the Theistic Evolution position (even though I believe his hypothesis is unfairly being tied to creationism).

Where is the contradition or even heresy with our faith? Is Father Stanley Harakis of the GOA a heretic? Well, I guess on this message board he is. This is a real shame that I have heard these thoughts come from Orthodox Christians. We of all the Christian Churches have the repository of classical thought and philosophy that should challenge our minds and help us to critically think for ourselves.

I suggest that everybody seriously re-think their position because its not God versus Darwin, its the light of intelligence versus the darkness of ignorance.

Peter

Papoutsis1
Jr Member

What is a Scholar?

Post by Papoutsis1 »

Evfimy

after hearing what I just heard on this board in regards to Evolution, trying to explain my academic credentials and educational background to all of you would not be appriciated.

All I can say is buy my translation, The Holy Orthodox Bible, and judge it for yourselves.

God Bless

Peter

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Is it possible that it was augmented after the fact?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Papou,

You are in delusion. You want to start up about evolution, here? You will be blasted out of the preverbial waters.

You're faith is not Orthodox. You are sucked in by the lies of the world.

Take it somewhere else.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)