Eastern Orthodox Bible

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Papoutsis1
Jr Member

Eastern Orthodox Bible

Post by Papoutsis1 »

Hello All:

I wanted to start a thread on the Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB) and try to dispell some misconceptions people have. First, the EOB is using Brenton's Greek Text, but not necessarily Brenton's translation. The English text, if I and the other contributors have anything to say about it, will conform to the underlying Greek of Codex Vaticanus, emendated with Codex Alexandrinus.

Second, the Holy Orthodox Church has no, and I repear NO established septuagint text, except for what is found in its various liturgical readings, and even here various LXX texts were used by various compiles and editors over the centuries. Therefore, if the EOB wants to use Codex Vaticanus/Alexandrinus as its LXX text that is fine. Further, if the Horthodox Study Bible wants to use Alfred Rahlfs Septuagint that is fine as well. Unlike the NT the Orthodox have no established or fixed text when it comes to the Septuagint outside of its liturgical readings.

Third, all divergences from the LXX liturgical text, I humbly believe, should be noted, and the EOB has allowed me to amend, at least, the Pentateuch with all variant readings between its underlying Greek text and the litugical LXX text.

Fourth, I have been comparing Brenton's English translation to the NETS translation and while Brenton's translation is somewhat outdated, it is also not that inaccuate. Are there inaccuracies, yes, they are few, and even then the translation is a judgment call. For example, in Esaias 60 Brenton has "Be enlightened, Be enlightened..." where as the NETS and OSB have "Shine, Shine.." however, the NETS translation stats in a footnote that Brenton's translation is equally as valid. I honestly believe Brenton may be criticized without a truly critical look at Brenton's translation being given by many on this topic. However, errors do exists, but are not as many or as grievious as people may suggest.

Fifth, The EOB is taking its time to harmonize its text with the underlying Greek. I have made suggested changes and so have others. This will truly be an Orthodox translation that, when it is done, I hope to recommend to all Orthodox Christians to purchase and enjoy.

Finally, one need to take his or her time in translating the Septuagint (LXX). Trust me when I tell you that my translation, The Holy Orthodox Bible, could have been release much sooner, but that the quality of its translation would have truly suffered. So I am taking my time and doing a faithful translation of the underlying Greek, which is what the EOB is in the process of doing. Lets give it a chance.

For now we have the OSB. Soon we will have the LXX OT from St. Vladimire's Seminary, Hopy Apostles Convent and Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, Mass. The future looks good for Orthodox English translations of the underlying Greek. Yet, I would still encourgae all Orthodox Christians to get a Copy of the Zoe Brotherhood Holy Bible that has the OT & NT in the original Greek and just use that. The internet and many Greek Interlinears will help you read it and understand it.

God Bless

Peter

Christophoros

Post by Christophoros »

If Holy Transfiguration Monastery ever completes their translation of the Holy Scriptures, it will be a true treasure. I have a letter dated from 1979 which mentions their on-going work on the New Testament. They are notoriously slow but meticulous... If it ever gets published, I have no doubt it will become an instant classic. Their Psalter and Horologion are already the standards in the English language.

I pray their work is completed in my lifetime!

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Peter,

I don't know you, so please take no offense, but why should I trust that your translation is accurate? Afterall, there have been many in the passed centuries.

What Synod do you belong to? Where did you grow up? What is your credentials? Which hierarch has blessed your publication?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

People who are not Greek scholars should not be tampering with the Bible. Just because a person is Orthodox, does not give them permission, nor does it afford them infallibility.

I have a question however. I want to begin a study of the complete Bible with a good and scholarly commentary. Are there any commentaries of each book in the Bible from Orthodox scholars?

There are many protestant commentaries. For example, "The Expositors Bible Commentary" is in 12 volumes and covers the entire Bible. I believe it was written by 78 biblical scholars from the evangelical/protestant world.

If there are any Orthodox commentaries of the Bible, please let me know. Thank you.

Also, what is a good Church History to read? All I know of are the five volume set "The Christian Tradition," by Jaroslav Pelikan and the eight volume "the History of the Christian Church," by Phillip Schaff.

Are there any good and scholary Orthodox Church History's written in English? Thank you.

I was wondering if there are any good Orthodox Systematic Theologies written in English also.

Last edited by Evfimy on Thu 28 February 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

For example on translating the Bible, Holy Apostles Convent has translated the New Testament. But they are not Greek scholars. Just because a person has a blessing and translates under obedience, does not mean their translation will be any good.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Evfimy,

I have a question however. I want to begin a study of the complete Bible with a good and scholarly commentary. Are there any commentaries of each book in the Bible from Orthodox scholars?

I don't know of any scholars, but I know of saints and blessed ones.
I have the four Gospels, seperate books, of the explanations by Blessed Theophylact.

But, I do recommend the website: fatheralexander.org. I haven't seen anything questionable there and I've read much. Actually, I print them up, at work. You can spend months, even a year, going through all the material.

And of course, get your hands on any explanations by St. John Chrysostom; Old and New Testament. The Old Testament is very interesting.

I can only trust that the English translation is accurate to the Greek.

And you can always search the net for articles, but pick the ones that are written by saints and preferably from an Old Calendar source. Don't pick ambiguous authors, with scholarly explanations; they always have an agenda. It's unfortunate, but even the New Calendar Orthodox can give explantions beneficial to their goal and it's so subtle that we end up absorbing it as if it is the truth.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

That's a really good website. Thank you :D

Ther's a lot of good material there. I agree we should try to stay with Old Calendar writers, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think there are good New Calendar writers out there. I think the great theologian Georges Florvosky himself was influenced by modernist elements.

And even Jaroslav Pelikan was a Lutheran when he wrote the book "The Spirit of Eastern Christendom." He was recommend reading to me by a Old Calendar bishop when I was first learning about Orthodoxy.

Glory to God, Pelikan came to Orthodoxy a few years ago.