Patriarchal Text vs. KJV vs. ONT

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Christophoros

Patriarchal Text vs. KJV vs. ONT

Post by Christophoros »

I came across this compilation and found it interesting. Two things I noticed: first, the differences between the "Textus Receptus" / Received Text and the Orthodox Patriarchal Text of 1904 are extremely minor, and second, the "Orthodox New Testament" of Holy Apostles Convent/Dormition Skete does not strictly follow the Orthodox Patriarchal Text in all places.

COMPARISON OF THE PATRIARCHAL TEXT AND THE RECEIVED TEXT IN TRANSLATION: GOSPEL PASSAGES

Note: The following passages were selected according to the annotations of The Eastern / Greek Orthodox Bible. Words in capitalization represent textual variations in the underlying Greek text.

1. Matthew 4:10

Patriarchal Text EOB: “GET BEHIND ME, Satan! For it is written...”

Received Text KJV: “GET THEE HENCE, Satan: for it is written...”

Received Text NKJV: AWAY WITH YOU Satan! For it is written...”

Eclectic ONT: “GET THEE BEHIND ME, Satan. For it hath been written...”

1. Matthew 7:14

Patriarchal Text EOB: “HOW narrow is the gate...”

Received Text KJV: “BECAUSE strait is the gate...”

Received Text NKJV: “BECAUSE narrow is the gate...”

Eclectic ONT: “FOR narrow is the gate...”

1. Matthew 8:15

Patriarchal Text EOB: “She got up and served HIM.”

Received Text KJV: “she arose and ministered unto THEM.”

Received Text NKJV: “And she arose and served THEM.”

Eclectic ONT: “And she arose and began to minister to HIM.”

1. Matthew 10:8

Patriarchal Text EOB: “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons.”

Received Text KJV: “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, RAISE THE DEAD, cast out devils.”

Received Text NKJV: “ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, RAISE THE DEAD, cast out demons.”

Ecletic ONT: “Be healing the sick, cleansing the lepers, RAISING THE DEAD, casting out demons.”

1. Matthew 12:35

Patriarchal Text EOB: “The good man brings out good things out of his good treasure...”

Received Text KJV: “A good man out of the good treasure OF THE HEART bringest forth good things.”

Received Text NKJV: “A good man out of the good treasure OF HIS HEART brings forth good things.”

Eclectic ONT: “The good man out of the good treasure OF HIS HEART bringeth forth good things.”

1. Matthew 20:26

Patriarchal Text EOB: “But whoever desires to become great among you SHALL BE your servant.”

Received Text KJV: “But whosoever will be great among you, LET HIM be your minister.”

Received Text NKJV: “But whoever desires to become great among you, LET HIM be your servant.”

Eclectic ONT: “But whosoever doth wish to become great among you SHALL BE your servant.”

1. Matthew 21:1

Patriarchal Text EOB: “As they were approaching Jerusalem and came to BETHSPHAGE...”

Received Text KJV: “And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to BETHPHAGE...”

Received Text NKJV: “Now when they drew near Jerusalem, and cam to BETHPHAGE...”

Eclectic ONT: “And when they drew near to Jerusalem, and came to BETHPHAGE...”

1. Mark 11:1

Patriarchal Text EOB: “As they were approaching Jerusalem, at BETHSPHAGE...”

Received Text KJV: “And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto BETHPHAGE...”

Received Text NKJV: “Now when they drew near Jerusalem, to BETHPHAGE...”

Eclectic ONT: “And when they drew near to Jerusalem, to BETHPHAGE...”

1. Mark 15:32

Patriarchal Text EOB: “... so that we may see and believe HIM.”

Received Text KJV: “... that we may see and believe.”

Received Text NKJV: “... that we may see and believe.”

Eclectic ONT: “... in order that we might see and believe ON HIM.”

1. Luke 3:19

Patriarchal Text EOB: “... being reproved by him for Herodias, his brother’s wife...”

Received Text KJV: “... being reproved by him for Herodias his brother PHILIP’S wife...”

Received Text NKJV: “... being rebuked by him concerning Herodias, his brother PHILIP’S wife...”

Eclectic ONT: “... being reproved by him for Herodias, the wife of his brother PHILIP...”

1. Luke 19:29

Patriarchal Text EOB: “It so happened that when he approached BETHSPHAGE...”

Received Text KJV: “And it came to pass, when he was come nigh to to BETHPHAGE...”

Received Text NKJV: “And it came to pass, when He drew near to BETHPHAGE...”

Eclectic ONT: “And it came to pass as He drew near to BETHPHAGE...”

1. John 3:13

Patriarchal Text EOB: “No one has ascended into heaven, except for the one who came down out of heaven, the Son of Man.”

Received Text KJV: “And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of Man WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.”

Received Text NKJV: “No one has ascended to heaven but he who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man, WHO IS IN HEAVEN.”

Eclectic ONT: “And no one hath gone up into the heavens, except the One Who came down from out of the heavens, the Son of Man, WHO IS IN THE HEAVENS.”

1. John 16:3

Patriarchal Text EOB: “They will do these things because they have not known the Father or me.”

Received Text KJV: “And these things will they do UNTO YOU, because they have not known the Father, nor me.”

Received Text NKJV: “And these things they will do TO YOU because they have not known the Father nor Me.”

Eclectic ONT: “And these things they will do, because they know not the Father nor Me.”

1. John 20:29

Patriarchal Text EOB: “Because you have seen me, you have believed!”

Received Text KJV: “... THOMAS, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed.”

Received Text NKJV: “THOMAS, because you have seen Me, you have believed.”

Eclectic ONT: “Because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed.”

Sources:

a. The Eastern / Greek Orthodox Bible, Volume 3: New Testament, edited by Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck

b. Online Greek Patriarchal Text: http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/biblegreek/

c. Nelson’s KJV / NKJV Parallel Bible

d. The Orthodox New Testament, published by Holy Apostles Convent