Prayer Question For Married Couples Who Are Orthodox

Justin Kissel

Prayer Question For Married Couples Who Are Orthodox

Post by Justin Kissel »

For those on here who are married and who pray with their spouse, how are the prayers "divided up"? Does the husband generally lead and say the most? Are they split evenly? Does the husband have the responsibility of saying certain prayers (ie. the female shouldn't say certain ones)?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Ok, I'll start, hehe :) When we pray, I usually say about 85% of the prayers, and my wife says a few at the end (such as the marriage prayer, the names of those who are ill, etc.)

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

What is the marriage prayer???

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

We use this version:

"My bountiful God, I beseech Thee, listen to my humble prayer, that I may ever feel that the married state is holy, and that I must keep it holy. Grant Thy grace, that I may never sin against the faithfulness and love of this marriage. Foster between us, the spirit of understanding and of peace, that no strife, quarrel and misunderstanding may arise between us." - Orthodox Prayer Book (St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, 1999), pp. 41-42

The only difference in our usage is that instead of the ending given in this prayer book ("Grant us our daily bread, whereby we may serve Thee more. Amen," p. 42), we use the ending: "Saint Juliana of Lazarevo, pray unto God for us! Through your prayers may our marriage be strengthened and grow daily." (after which I say "Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon us, and save us. Amen," which completes our evening prayer rule.)

Natasha
Sr Member

RE:

Post by Natasha »

I have the same version of the marriage prayer
I use a really old prayer book my mother gave me, it is from 1948, so some of the wording on the prayers can be slightly different than the modern translations from time to time....