I will never read Br. Nathanael's blogs again.

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

I will never read Br. Nathanael's blogs again.

Post by Sean »

I have been well aware, all along that Br. Nathanael's news blog took yellow journalism to new lows, but I continued reading them for some time, because they seemed to be the only source that would keep me informed on the continuing developements within the various groups of dissenters within and without ROCOR-MP. I knew that I had to use discretion in reading them because the articles were in a tabloid format and were anything but sober.

Until recently I even had a sort of admiration for Br. Nathanael as crazy as he is, because he was inflamatory towards all the right people, and some of his antics made me burst out with roaring laughter.

However, after he defamed Bp. Christodoulos, I was utterly appalled and disgusted. Although I am with HOCNA, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Bp. Christodoulos. Br. Nathanael had defamed him by publishing details of His Grace's past from BEFORE he became a monastic. Namely, that the man once was in the entertainment industry and that he directed a horror film.

For Bp. Christodoulos to go through such a profound transformation from a secular Greek who was part of the entertainment industry, to a monastic and later a bishop, shows that he must have gone through a profound spiritual transformation and repentance. This makes me admire His Grace all the more. br. Nathanael mistakenly believes that since he was a filmmaker after his baptism that he is disqualified from being fit for the episcopacy, but Bp. Christodoulos is cradle Orthodox, and most pious cradle Orthodox who grow up in this hedonistic society usually go through an "inner conversion," very analogous to the one that we converts go through when we encounter Orthodoxy.

I'm sorry if my bringing this up offends anyone. I only brought it up because there are many who still read this blog for the same reasons that I did, and I feel that something should be said on behalf of the person being defamed.

It would also not surprise me if the entire story were concocted.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Post by Pravoslavnik »

I agree entirely with the above post. As the Fathers have taught, we may know that a man has sinned, but how can we truly know the extent of his repentance? Hence, we need to be very careful in our judgments. Brother Nathanael's website often presents useful news about the Church, but does, at times, include judgments and editorial comments that are inaccurate. As I recall, the Apostolic Constitutions also admonish us to be very careful when judging or criticizing a clergyman or heirarch of the Church.

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

I too have requested to be removed from his "Orthodox Weekly World News" trash.

TomS
Protoposter

Re: I will never read Br. Nathanael's blogs again.

Post by TomS »

Sean wrote:

Until recently I even had a sort of admiration for Br. Nathanael as crazy as he is, because he was inflamatory towards all the right people, and some of his antics made me burst out with roaring laughter.

However, after he defamed Bp. Christodoulos, I was utterly appalled and disgusted.

Wow. Do you realize how much of a hypocrite you are.

You had no problem with him speaking ill of those you did not respect, but when he defames someone you do respect...

Pathetic

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Helen

Post by Helen »

Wow. Do you realize how much of a hypocrite you are.

You had no problem with him speaking ill of those you did not respect, but when he defames someone you do respect...

Although some of your posts are more than a bit rude - to this one I say 'well said'.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

I am a flawed man with many sins, and I ask your forgiveness for offending you.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

The saddest thing of all is that his actions as well as his entire website are acceptable and endorsed (even if silently) by the Administration of the American Diocese of Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church...

This is the sad state of affairs that those of the ROAC seem to find themselves these days. With a seemingly lax authority and no spiritual nourishment whatsoever... the examples that are set by those who would be in authority over them have shown a lack of care, I go as far as ot say a contempt for the Faith as well as for the nourishment and well being of the American faithful.

I say none of this as a slander of those in authority neither as a reprimand or a judgement of the faithful, only as a speculation of the things that have been seen by the acceptance of the actions of those like Nathanael as well as the updates that have been put on the website thus far.

Lord Have Mercy...