Does anyone here know Aramaic?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
ChristosVoskrese
Jr Member

Does anyone here know Aramaic?

Post by ChristosVoskrese »

A few days ago at lunch, my former (Papist) godmother started "speaking in tongues" - spouting off a whole pile of gibberish. She told me that sometimes when this happens, she speaks in Aramaic. I managed to record some of what she said, and when playing it back, I heard the world "Yeshu", which sounds like it could be the Aramaic for "Jesus". I would like to get the recording translated, to see what she is actually saying.

Does anyone here either speak Aramaic or know anyone else who does?

Mor Ephrem

Re: Does anyone here know Aramaic?

Post by Mor Ephrem »

ChristosVoskrese wrote:

A few days ago at lunch, my former (Papist) godmother started "speaking in tongues" - spouting off a whole pile of gibberish. She told me that sometimes when this happens, she speaks in Aramaic. I managed to record some of what she said, and when playing it back, I heard the world "Yeshu", which sounds like it could be the Aramaic for "Jesus". I would like to get the recording translated, to see what she is actually saying.

Does anyone here either speak Aramaic or know anyone else who does?

You may have already been helped with this issue, but I studied this language for a year and a half while in seminary. "Yeshu" (Jesus) is easy enough to pick up if you have an internet connection, it would be interesting to hear what else she said...did you ever figure it out?

Dn. Philip

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

Scriptures tell us that "speaking in tongues", unless there be there one who can interpret, is a demonic manifestation. End of story. What she said, although it might be academically stimulating, is of little consequence.

The preceding are my own opinions and should never be taken at any time for any reason as actual advice or intelligent conversation. I am an idiot. When in doubt seek advice from a spiritual father.

Thank you for understanding.

Euthymios

Post by Euthymios »

Of course the devil would throw a word in with the jibberish in order to give the impression the phenomenon is legitimate. And of course she might have actually been cursing Jesus. Satan always mixes truth with error to make it more appealing. Tongues does not exist today -- especially not with heretics. It is a complete demonic deception.