St. John Chrysostom and the Divine Liturgy

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

ChristosVoskrese wrote:

If you think that the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is "boring" then you do not truly understand what the Holy Liturgy really is.

My point is that other liturgies could also be used besides St. John and St. Basil and 1 other (I can't remember the other one). And the other 2 only have a few differences in text.

Is St. John C. the ONLY Father who has written a liturgy that the Church finds inspired?

Is St. John C. comporable to Mohamud to the Muslims?; was St. John C. the the last prophet of the Orthodox Church?

Has God decided not to provide new revelations to Orthodox Saints since St. John C. when it comes to worship?

Why is that?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

jckstraw72
Jurisdiction: OCA

Post by jckstraw72 »

Has God decided not to provide new revelations to Orthodox Saints since St. John C. when it comes to worship?

if you study the history of Liturgy you'll find that the Liturgy has indeed developed a good deal since the days of Chrysostom, while the foundation is the same.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

jckstraw72 wrote:

if you study the history of Liturgy you'll find that the Liturgy has indeed developed a good deal since the days of Chrysostom, while the foundation is the same.

My understanding is the main changes revolve around the addition of hymns.

This is from Liturgica.com --

"During the period of the fourth to sixth centuries, the shape of the Eastern Divine Liturgy reached its final form under the guidance of liturgists such as St. John Chrysostom. In this same period the major formative changes occurred, most of which resulted in liturgical components that corresponded to the Church's developing theological understanding. Among them were the hymn "Only-Begotten Son" and the addition of the Nicean-Constantinopolitan Creed (countering heresies), and "The Trisagion Hymn" reflecting the Trinitarian theology being currently defined."

Could you point me to any additional articles that explain these changes in detail?

Last edited by TomS on Fri 22 June 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jckstraw72

Post by jckstraw72 »

i dont know about any articles, but i read The Orthodox Liturgy by Hugh Wybrew which goes into its historical development -- id have to go back and look at it for specifics, but i knwo there are certainly differences btwn our time and that of Chrysostom.

and hey, you could always try out Western Rite. and St. John Maximovitch busted out the Liturgy of St. Germain for the French Orthodox Church.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

jckstraw72 wrote:

Liturgy of St. Germain for the French Orthodox Church.

Is it in French? That would be interesting to hear.

jckstraw72

Post by jckstraw72 »

according to Fr. Seraphim's biography he did serve it in French.