Journey To Heaven by Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Justin Kissel

Journey To Heaven by Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk

Post by Justin Kissel »

I've received permission from Fr. George Lardas to put some parts of the book Journey to Heaven: Counsels on the Particular Duties of Every Christian online (he has the copyright). He said to start with a few excerpts/chapters first, and then we'll see how things go. Many people agree that this is a really wonderful and edifying book, so I'm happy that at least parts of it (and possibly eventually all of it) will be available online for people to read.* I'll update this thread when material from the book finally gets put online (which shouldn't be more than a week from now).

• This probably isn't as a big of an issue in America, but I'm sure there are lots of places in the world where there are English speaking people who are interested in Orthodoxy, but don't have access to nearly the same resources (books and such) that we do here in America.
Methodius

Post by Methodius »

Cool. So you will be posting chapters here on the forum?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

My plan right now is to get a webpage, and to put it on as one of the texts on that webpage. Hopefully other texts could be added in the future (preferrably ones that aren't already online somewhere). The plan right now is also to give (much) smaller excerpts here that would let people know what types of things the book discussed, and then if they wanted to read more they could go to the site. I'm just waiting now to see whether Fr. George has the book on his computer or on floppy (he said he might have a copy), as I'd rather just cut and paste it than having to type in hundreds of pages! ;) (though the book really is that good that it'd be worth the effort to type it in... probably at the pace of a few dozen pages a week)

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

it's a good book. it'd gone by a different name in Russia Why'd he change it?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

He followed both the Greek and the Russian versions, following mostly the Russian in terms of content, but following the Greek version as far as how the sections are divided up, the name of it, etc. Saint Tikhon did not himself name the book (it was published after his death, and is sort of an anthology), so it's not as though Fr. George is going against St. Tikhon's wishes and changing the name willy nilly.

PS. Fr. George used the original Russian title as the sub-title of the book. Much of this type of stuff is discussed in the introductory comments, which will also be put online.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

why'd he use the Greek divisions and why'd the Greek content change from the Russian original?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I just said that much of that type of stuff would be in the introductory comments. Impatient, aren't we? 8)