Which Renderings Of This Prayer Do You Use?

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Which rendering do you prefer?

Jordanville (1979)

33%

Jordanville (1996)

60%

Antiochian

7%

OCA

No votes

Other (please tell us which one)

No votes

Total votes: 15

Justin Kissel

Which Renderings Of This Prayer Do You Use?

Post by Justin Kissel »

I've seen at least four or five different renderings of this prayer to the Theotokos, which one do you prefer?

Jordanville Prayer Book (1979) - "It is truly meet and right to bless thee, the Ever-Blessed and Most Pure Virgin and Mother of our God. More honourable than the Cherubim, and incomparably more glorious than the Seraphim, thou who in virginity didst bear God the Word, thee, true Mother of God, we magnify."

Jordanville Prayer Book (1996) - "It is truly meet to bless thee, the Theotokos, ever-blessed and most blameless, and Mother of our God. More honourable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify."

Antiochian Prayer Book - "It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos, who are ever blessed and all-blameless, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, thou who without stain barest God the Word, and art truly Theotokos: we magnify thee."

OCA Orthodox Prayer Book - "Meet it is in truth, to glorify Thee, O Birthgiver of God, ever blessed and all-undefiled, the Mother of our God. More honourable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, Thou who without stain didst bear God the word, True Birth-giver of God, we magnify Thee."

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

I have the 1996 Jordanville, however I like the 1979 version better, 2nd choice seems to be the OCA.

james

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

I use the Jordanville 1996 one but I am seeing the others for the first time and they all look pretty great to me!!!

Nicholas (savva)

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

I use the prayer book published by HTM in Brookline Mass most of the time, side by side with the Jordanville one depending on what prayers I will say or what book I am in the mood for.

The HTM version of the prayer is:

''It is truly meet to call thee blest, the Theotokos, the ever-blessed and all immaculate and Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, thee who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.''

I think it is beautiful too and is made to fit with the Greek chant.

In Christ,

Nicholas

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I use the Antiochian one, myself. Just the one I'm used to I suppose.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Big differences! I'd say it's like the Lord's Prayer. It's wording's important comfort isn't. :|

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I personally am not going to get into a debate over words when the content (what we both mean by the prayer) is the same. The big difference is in people's heads.