Breaking away from World Orthodoxy over Heresies

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Logos

Re: Don't know enough to know better

Post by Logos »

TomS wrote:

Then you have people like me who really are "babes in the woods". We don't know which is right, and do not have the time to read all the different opinions/history to make the correct decision.

Protestantism was so much easier! Just do whatever you want! :lol:

I agree with you.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

All heresies are heresy

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I was discussing this with someone and they said that Ecumenism and Modernism were not heresies because they were not Christological or Trinitarian. I always thought there were 3 types of heresy.

Heresies of Christ, Heresies of the Trinity and Heresies of Man and Salvation.

Am I understanding this wrong? Sergianism and Ecumenism would fit in to the last category I would think.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Nicholas,

Sounds like you were talking with someone who attends St. Vladimir's, where someone is apparently teaching such things (from what I've read at another forum), and apparently some people are picking such a theory up and running with it.

And technically, even according to these narrow beliefs, ecumenism and modernism are still heresies since they are heresies of an ecclesiological nature, which is directly related to christology and in Orthodox thought inseperable from certain christological beliefs. Just as a discussion about Mary could be christological in nature, so can a discussion about ecumenism and/or modernism.

Last edited by Justin Kissel on Thu 31 July 2003 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

What is interesting, and what I think people will take notice of in due time is that many of the saints and holy people of the past 50 years have spoken out or written against (bad)ecumenism, modernism and "sergianism". Where are our holy Orthodox people who have defended these things? They don't exist...and it's very easy to see why. I believe more and more people will start to take notice of this. It seems as if they already are.

Methodius

Cyprianism vs. Extremism?

Post by Methodius »

May I suggest people on both sides of this issue read this?

http://private.peterlink.ru/alektor/the15th.htm

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Of course I thought it made perfect sense.

I hope people note in the "conclusion" the discussion about Cyprian of Fili. I beleive this is what I have said about "walling-off" and its place in history.

Indeed, there is no need for another council to declare that which has already been declared.

Chrysostomos

Post by Chrysostomos »

In reading this forum subject: Breaking away from
World Orthodoxy over heresies - I realize:

That I am in need of prayer from all of you.

I cannot even fulfill the commands of our Lord
and Saviour Jesus Christ according to Mark 12:30-31.

My challenge is breaking away from the World and
its ways.....I have not even attained the level at which
I am worthy to even comment on such things.

Seeking your prayers,

With bow,

Reader Chrysostomos