Old Testament Translation

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.

Which OT do you use?

King James Version

33%

New King James Version

8%

New International Version

No votes

Revised Standard Version

8%

The Jerusalem Bible

8%

Douay-Rheims

8%

New American Bible

No votes

The Latin Vulgate

No votes

HERETICS! Only the Greek Septuagint!

33%

Total votes: 12

Nektarios14

Old Testament Translation

Post by Nektarios14 »

Which Old Testament Translation do you use and prefer. I am very ignorant in this area and have no idea which one would be better to use, so if you could explain why you voted the way you did I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Nektarios

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

I use the OT of the 1st edition of the JB due to its Greek wordings or it gives it in the footnotes. I also on occasion use the Douay OT & Psalms.

james

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

If I'm going for precise accuracy I try and see what the LXX (septuagint) says (the POMOG site can help with this, as can other sites). Under normal reading/studying circumstances, though, this just isn't possible, so I use other versions. I usually use the NKJV when quoting large portions of text, the KJV (since that's what my Thompson chain-reference is) when doing research, and the NAB or RSV when using the (so-called) Apocrypha. I eagerly look forward to an English translation of the Old Testament based on the LXX (there are already some from generations ago, though none that are particularly good or helpful).

Clifton

Post by Clifton »

I normally do not use translations, so it's the GNT or the LXX for me. However, I'm not a Greek scholar, so I do often have recourse to an English translation. In those instances, it is usually the NKJV or the NASB.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I just use the one that my husband uses :) (which is the kjv)

MaryCecilia

David1

Post by David1 »

I have what I think is a reasonable hope that the Orthodox Study Bible:OT project will bear fruit in this area. It seems they are going for a quality product, and I would hope that the protestant-affectations of the footnotes in the OSB:NT will not carry over. I haven't really followed the project for the last year or so though.

I like the Douay Old Testament, but read more often from the RSV.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

We need an OOT to match the ONT!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Holy Apostles Convent just needs to get their own Old Testament out for us. :D