Baptism

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
dcmt28

Baptism

Post by dcmt28 »

Hello:
I have question about Baptism. Coming from a Baptist backround I was baptised in the church at age 12. I wanted to know if being baptised twice is wrong?

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

There is an only one Baptism and it is in the only one Church of Christ, the Orthodox Church.

The Apostate

Re: Baptism

Post by The Apostate »

dcmt28 wrote:

Hello:
I have question about Baptism. Coming from a Baptist backround I was baptised in the church at age 12. I wanted to know if being baptised twice is wrong?

Dear dcmt28,

As Father Siluan summarised, it isn't so much a question of whether being baptised twice is wrong. It's a question of whether being baptised twice is possible. The Orthodox answer to that is a resounding 'No!' We don't believe that it is possible to be baptised twice and so the question of whether it is right or wrong falls into insignificance.

Baptism is a Sacrament of the Church. It (along with Chrismation), is the means whereby a person dies to sin and rises to new life as a regenerated creature, incorporated mystically into the Body of Christ, the Church. This only happens once in a person's lifetime. Even if he falls away from active life in Christ and then returns some time later he is already baptised and so cannot be baptised again.

A person approaching the Church who has been through the "baptism" rites of a body outside the Church (as was the case with me - a former Anglican), is to be received into the Church just as anybody else - by Baptism and Chrismation*, because Baptism, as a Sacrament of the Church, given by God in his mercy as a means of his grace within the Church, cannot, and does not exist outside of the Church. Therefore, any rite performed outside of Orthodoxy, including application of water using a Trinitarian formula, is not the Sacrament of Baptism.

If this is what you are concerned about and you are approaching Orthodoxy from the Baptist religion, then you mustn't worry. Speak with your priest who will most likely put what I have said above into its proper expression and context in your journey towards Christ.

*Some jurisdictions receive converts who have been through the baptismal rites of bodies outside the Church by Chrismation alone. This is an application of what is called economy, and it emphatically does not imply, in any way, a recognition of the non-Orthodox "baptism" as a true Baptism. What it does mean is that it is Baptism & Chrismation together, which are the means whereby a person is eceived into the Church, and the Chrismation, in addition to being wholly and completely an Orthodox Chrismation, is also seen as supplying that which was lacking from the earlier, non-Orthodox, baptismal rite - namely, the context of the fullness of the Christian Faith, the Church.

Properly, reception by economy (as in all cases of the extension of economy), should only be done where there is a pastoral need to warrant it, such as if the person to be baptised has a water allergy (not as uncommon as you may think!), where a family rift may be caused by the Baptism, or some other reason peculiar to the person's circumstances, where the bishop authorises the application of economy. Sadly, many jurisdictions now practise it as standard, giving the false and dangerous impression to those outside the Church that their sacraments are Sacraments of the Church.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: Baptism

Post by Priest Siluan »

Occidentalis wrote:
dcmt28 wrote:

Hello:

Dear dcmt28,

As Father Siluan summarised, it isn't so much a question of whether being baptised twice is wrong. It's a question of whether being baptised twice is possible. The Orthodox answer to that is a resounding 'No!' We don't believe that it is possible to be baptised twice and so the question of whether it is right or wrong falls into insignificance.

Baptism is a Sacrament of the Church. It (along with Chrismation), is the means whereby a person dies to sin and rises to new life as a regenerated creature, incorporated mystically into the Body of Christ, the Church. This only happens once in a person's lifetime. Even if he falls away from active life in Christ and then returns some time later he is already baptised and so cannot be baptised again.

A person approaching the Church who has been through the "baptism" rites of a body outside the Church (as was the case with me - a former Anglican), is to be received into the Church just as anybody else - by Baptism and Chrismation*, because Baptism, as a Sacrament of the Church, given by God in his mercy as a means of his grace within the Church, cannot, and does not exist outside of the Church. Therefore, any rite performed outside of Orthodoxy, including application of water using a Trinitarian formula, is not the Sacrament of Baptism.

If this is what you are concerned about and you are approaching Orthodoxy from the Baptist religion, then you mustn't worry. Speak with your priest who will most likely put what I have said above into its proper expression and context in your journey towards Christ.

*Some jurisdictions receive converts who have been through the baptismal rites of bodies outside the Church by Chrismation alone. This is an application of what is called economy, and it emphatically does not imply, in any way, a recognition of the non-Orthodox "baptism" as a true Baptism. What it does mean is that it is Baptism & Chrismation together, which are the means whereby a person is eceived into the Church, and the Chrismation, in addition to being wholly and completely an Orthodox Chrismation, is also seen as supplying that which was lacking from the earlier, non-Orthodox, baptismal rite - namely, the context of the fullness of the Christian Faith, the Church.

Properly, reception by economy (as in all cases of the extension of economy), should only be done where there is a pastoral need to warrant it, such as if the person to be baptised has a water allergy (not as uncommon as you may think!), where a family rift may be caused by the Baptism, or some other reason peculiar to the person's circumstances, where the bishop authorises the application of economy. Sadly, many jurisdictions now practise it as standard, giving the false and dangerous impression to those outside the Church that their sacraments are Sacraments of the Church.

Dear Occidentalis:

your post has been fully good and rigth, and it has not left any dark point.

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Dear Father Siluan,

Many thanks for your kind words. I remember going through these difficulties myself and so feel it right to try to offer clarity where I am able. It is encouraging to have affirmation from one among the priesthood.

Thank you.

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

dcmt23, I've just thought of something that may be of help. I shall quote below the prayer for the blessing of the water of the font at Pascha in the Western Rite. I should stress that this is not the actual English text authorised for use within any Orthodox church because, sadly, I do not have a copy of that to hand. However, the text I shall post below is translated from the same source that the authorised version does. It is simply a different translation of the same prayer.

The reason that I post it is that I think it sums up very succinctly the Orthodox understanding of the nature of what actually happens in Baptism. You'll notice that it is very different from the Baptist understanding. When it speaks of the imagery of fertility, conception and re-birth, this is no mere symbolism, but is to be taken quite literally. There is even a point where the rubrics direct the priest to thrust the large candle (symbolising Christ) into the font, which is likened to a womb. This is a sexual allusion. It is not a display of vulgarity but is meant to illustrate the very real way in which the newly-illumined, emerging from the font, is truly re-born into Christ, from the womb of the font.

The Lord be with you
and with your spirit

Lift up your hearts
We have, to the Lord

Let us give thanks to our Lord God
It is right and fitting!

It is indeed right and fitting, it is our duty and available to our salvation,
that we should, at all times and in all places,
give thanks to you, O Lord, holy Father, almighty and everlasting God,
for by your mighty power,
You bring about the wonders of your Sacraments.

Although we are unworthy to partake of such great Mysteries,
You do not leave us wanting for your Grace,
but You turn your merciful ear to our prayers.

O God, whose Spirit moved upon the face of the waters
at the very dawn of Creation, so that even then,
nature saw your power in the sanctification of water,
O God, who by washing away the crimes of a guilty world,
showed the cleansing power of water in the flood,
so that, by the same element,
there should be both an end to sin and a source of virtue,
look down, O Lord, on the face of your Church,
in her, multiply your acts of renewal,
for by the power of your Grace outpoured,
You gladden your people,
and open the font of Baptism
for the calling of all peoples throughout the world,
that at the command of your majesty
they may receive the grace of your Holy Spirit.

With his right hand, the priest divides the water in the form of a Cross.

May the same Spirit fertilize this water prepared for our regeneration,
that by a holy conception,
a heavenly offspring may be born as a new creation,
from the spotless womb of this font,
and may all shades of humanity be brought, by grace,
into your adoption.

Lord, at your command,
let every unclean spirit depart from all who are baptised in this font.
Let all malice and corruption flee away.
Let the power of evil have no place in them.
Let them be holy and innocent,
free from all assault of the devil,
and be made holy by the departure of all wickedness.

Let this be a living + font,
a regenerating + water,
a purifying + stream;
so that all who are washed in this laver of salvation
may obtain the gift of perfect purity,
by the power of the Holy Spirit.

The priest extends his hands over the water

Therefore, I bless you, O creature of water,
in the name of the living + God, the true + God, the holy + God,
the God who, in the beginning, divided you from the dry land,
whose Spirit hovered over you,
Who caused you to flow out of Eden,
and commanded you to water the whole earth in four rivers,
The priest scatters the water in four directions.
Who, when you were bitter in the wilderness,
infused you with sweetness, making you fit to drink,
and brought you forth from the rock for his thirsty people.
I bless + you through Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
Who, in Cana of Galilee, changed you into wine,
Who walked on you on the lake,
and was baptised in you in the river Jordan,
Who brought you forth out of his side together with his Blood,
and commanded his disciples that all men should be baptised in you,
in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Almighty and merciful God, be present here among us
as we keep your commandments.

The priest breathes on the water in the form of a Cross.

Graciously breathe on us your Holy Spirit, and bless these clear waters,
that they may cleanse our souls as they do our bodies.

The priest allows wax from the Paschal candle to drip into the font in the form of a Cross.

Send the power of your Holy Spirit on this font,
to infuse this water with the power of new birth.

The priest plunges the Paschal candle into the font, making the sign of the Cross in the font, and then holding the candle in place.

Here let all stain of sin be blotted out,
here let mankind, formed in your image, yet fallen,
be restored to the image of your glory,
The priest removes the Candle from the font
that everyone who comes to Baptism
may be born again into a new infancy of true innocence;
through Jesus Christ, your Son, who is alive and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit; one God, now and ever,
and to the ages of ages.
Amen.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Occidentalis wrote:

dcmt23, I've just thought of something that may be of help. I shall quote below the prayer for the blessing of the water of the font at Pascha in the Western Rite. I should stress that this is not the actual English text authorised for use within any Orthodox church because, sadly, I do not have a copy of that to hand.

You can purchase an approved Western/Sarum-Rite prayer book at http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturg ... store.html