Excert from "Papa-Dimitri Gagastathis: The Man of God&

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
nikodemos

Excert from "Papa-Dimitri Gagastathis: The Man of God&

Post by nikodemos »

Blessed Papa Dimitri at Divine Liturgy
Exorcism

On December 28, 1969, I went for a while to Meteora to rest. In the evening, we made a supplication for one who was possessed. I got up at one o'clock in the morning to get ready for the liturgy that would start at three. I prepared myself well in the chapel of Saint Constantine, according to my desire. At three o'clock, I started the Six Psalms. As soon as I started saying 'Blessed is our God,' the Holy Altar gave off much and excellent perfume. The small chapel was filled with fragrance. What a joy, what a blessing, that a sinful and illiterate little priest like me could see such great things! The liturgy was very contritional - it defies description. We finished at six o'clock in the morning. I remained with the possessed, keeping also the Abbot as a witness as well as a companion for whatever might happen. When I started reading the Gospel of the fourth Sunday of Lent, the demons began shouting fiercely. Immediately, I began the exorcisms of Saint Basil and of Saint John Chrysostom. Whenever I paused, they paused, too. The Abbot said, "He's healed!" "No," I said, "They're fooling us! When we beat them, they cry. When we stop, they stop." After I exhausted every available means, I entreated Archangel Michael to come and heal him, as no one else could. After many entreaties - what a great wonder! - Archangel Michael came forth with his fiery sword and did heal him. Behold, even today the Church shows forth miracles!... Next night, the demon got spiteful because we had chaded it away, and came in the room while I was sleeping to devour me. It came a first time at eleven o'clock at night in the form of a pack of ravens to scare me. I got up and prayed and they disappeared. I went back to sleep, but it came a second time in the form of a herd of pigs to devour me. As soon as they entered the room and I heard their wild cries, I shouted: "Archangel Michael, save me!" And behold - what a wonder! - a young man killed the largest pig by his sword and told me: "Don't be afraid, I'm with you!" I saw him at the door with the sword.... Of course, it was his duty to save me, because I , too, serve in his church sixty years now, both as a sexton and as a priest... And now, at every liturgy, the Holy Altar of the Archangels exudes fragrance after the time of the Great Entrance, when I lay down on it the Most Pure Mysteries.
Papa-Dimitri Gagastathis: The man of God (1902-1975), Life, Miracles and Spiritual Counsels of a Simple Priest of Our Days, Orthodoxos Kypseli Publications, translated and edited by Dimitrios N. Kagaris. page 64