GOC question

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jacqueline
Faith: RussianOrthodox

GOC question

Post by jacqueline »

My family is Russian by heritage and we used to attend (ROCOR) services in San Francisco...but we haven't really attend since Vladika Anthony passed away. Anyway, my Greek friends have invited me and I'm thinking of going to the "Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Ascension" in Oakland this weekend. It's a lot closer to home but I am not at all familiar with the GOC or their services. What should I expect? Is there much difference in the services?

p.s. I wasn't sure where to post this question.

"Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and for ever." ( Heb.13:8 )

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Dear Jacqueline, I think that might acrually be a GOA Cathedral your friend is inviting you to, but here is a good thread on the differences. (Initially it was 2 threads that have now been merged.)

http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2860

jacqueline

Post by jacqueline »

oh. Thank you :) Now I have to educate myself on the differences between GOA and GOC :? I feel a bit like Sisyphus.

jacqueline

Post by jacqueline »

After about an hour of reading about GOA, a few of my questions have been answered. :ohvey: Not that I will make any judgments, but GOA is not the place for me... I just couldn't go in good conscience. It was stupid of me to just agree to go with my friends without doing a little research. :ohvey: :ohvey: :ohvey:

I'm learning so much on this website. (I hope that is a good thing :wink: )

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Well I hope you will use the map and enjoy Pascha and a traditional Orthodox Church this year.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

jacqueline wrote:

It was stupid of me to just agree to go with my friends without doing a little research. :ohvey: :ohvey: :ohvey:

Why? It is stupid for you to base your opinion on articles written by those with an agenda ("we are holier than them") and opinions of laypersons on the internet.

Go and see for yourself!

Besides, if you don't think it is "good enough" for you, just think how you can talk about it on the internet, and "tsk-tsk" those members of the GOA in the future! Just think how much more superior you will feel!

:ohvey: :ohvey: :ohvey: :ohvey:

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

jacqueline

Post by jacqueline »

I am not judging anyone because I don't go. I don't feel superior...and it's not a matter of it not being "good enough". I'm sure other people get what they need by attending services there. It's just not a place for me. It's a personal decision not to go. What's wrong with that? My friends, who are very nice people, understand.